Vulcan Standard Bar – 28.5 mm
- Manufacturer: Vulcan Strength
- Purpose: Multi-purpose
- Bar Weight: 20kg
- Gender: Men
- Tensile Strength: 194,000
- Yield Strength: N/A
- Knurl Type: Medium
- Center Knurl: No
- Knurl Marks: Dual/multi-purpose
- Shaft Finish: Bright Zinc (also available in Black Zinc)
- Shaft Diameter: 28.5mm
- Sleeve Finish: Bright Zinc
- Sleeve Type: Grooved
- Rotation System: Bronze Bushing
- Made In: Import
- Warranty: Lifetime
Read below to get a detailed look at the Vulcan Standard 28.5mm Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Vulcan Standard 28.5mm Bar
The Vulcan Standard 28.5mm Bar is a USA-made bushing multi-purpose bar with nice specs and a lifetime warranty.
Read more below.
Features & Highlights
- Bright Zinc Finish – Bright Zinc is a cost-efficient plating that does an OK job at fighting off rust. You won’t get the same feel as you would with a non-plated finish like bare steel, stainless steel, etc… but you get a good blend of feel and rust resistance without the larger price tag. You can also purchase the bar in black zinc.
- 28.5mm Shaft – The 28mm shaft on the Vulcan Standard 28.5mm Bar is consistent with multi-purpose bars. This diameter will offer a comfortable grip that’s suitable for a variety of lifts, ranging from Olympic lifting to powerlifting.
- Dual Knurl Marks – This bar offers dual knurl marks, making it a true multi-purpose bar.
- Tensile Strength – The 194k PSI tensile strength is in the wheelhouse for quality multi-purpose bars.
- Grooved Sleeves – The grooved sleeves will tend to keep the plates on the bar better than a smooth sleeve when not using collars, but they will also be louder. The sleeves are finished in bright zinc.
- Bushings – This version of the bar offers bushings instead of bearings.
- No Center Knurl – The Vulcan Standard 28.5mm Bar does not offer a center knurl, making it ideal for high volume/rep training. It will generally be a more comfortable bar.
- Strong Warranty – This bar offers a lifetime warranty against bending, breaking, or seizing.
- Made in America – This bar is made in the USA.
From the Manufacturer
The Vulcan Standard is a finely crafted Olympic bar made in the USA. This bar is precision manufactured with very tight tolerances. Very minimal movement between the shaft and sleeve, which translates to a very solid feeling bar. Dual Oilite Self lubricating bronze bushings provide very smooth rotation and great spin. Medium amount of whip which is typical for any bar below 205k tensile strength. This bar has a medium sharp knurling. The knurling is exceptional for a mix of powerlifting, Olympic Weight lifting, and high repetition lifting of some CrossFit workouts. This bar is recommended for Large gyms and training centers, personal training, or home/garage gym use.
What They’re Saying at Vulcan Strength
The Vulcan Standard 28.5mm Bar receives very positive feedback from users. With a 5/5 average rating at vulcanstrength.com, here are some of the things people have said:
- “I wanted a bar that was great for olympic lifts and for squatting and benching. Amazing spin, great knurling, when you touch the bar, everything is JUST right.”
- “The black zinc 28.5mm olympic barbell from Vulcan is the best barbell I have had my hands on in a very long time. The barbell shipped in a few days even during these crazy quarantine times and I will definitely be getting more gear from them soon.”
- “The Vulcan Standard 28.5 mm Olympic Barbell is now the most beautiful thing in my gym. I haven’t had it long, but the quality was felt as soon as I touch it. I can’t say how much I appreciate the choice of a non-black zinc coating for the same price. Coming from a powerlifting background, I was not impressed with the knurl at first (I thought I was prepared for a softer knurl, but “medium” seems a too optimistic description). It hardly felt like there was a knurl, but when I added some chalk I was glued to the bar. Well balanced, smooth rotation, tight tolerances for bumper plates and almost disturbingly quiet!”
- “Amazing bar and a tremendous value, especially considering it is made in USA. Bronze bushings are tight yet offer a very smooth, controlled spin. Seems not as whippy as my (previous) go-to bar (Rogue Ohio bar), which is a plus for me as I do not use this bar for overhead work, and the knurling also feels better in my hand. Exceeded my expectations.”
- “My only actual complaint about the bar is the knurling is a little sloppy by the markings and the end of the bar. Other than that the bar is perfect and everything I was expecting from the reviews.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Vulcan Standard 28.5mm Bar.