Rep Fitness Sabre Bar – Center Knurl
- Manufacturer: Rep Fitness
- Purpose: Multi-purpose
- Bar Weight: 20kg
- Gender: Men
- Tensile Strength: 150,000
- Yield Strength: N/A
- Knurl Type: Medium
- Center Knurl: Yes
- Knurl Marks: Dual
- Shaft Finish: Bright Zinc
- Shaft Diameter: 28mm
- Sleeve Finish: Bright Zinc
- Sleeve Type: Smooth
- Rotation System: Bushing
- Made In: China
- Warranty: 1 Year
Read below to get a detailed look at the Rep Sabre Bar w/ Center Knurl including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Rep Fitness Sabre Bar w/ Center Knurl
The Rep Fitness Sabre Bar (w/ Center Knurl) is a nice starter multi-purpose bar.
It has a no-frills spec profile that’s well suited for the budget-minded or for the beginner/recreational lifter. Because of its bushing design, it’s more aligned with those looking to perform slower, powerlifting style movements. That said, it does have dual rings, and it’s capable of being a good performer on CrossFit/weightlifting movements.
This exact bar is also sold without a center knurl.
Here are some further details about the bar:
The knurling on the Rep Sabre Bar leans on the mild-to-moderate side with its relatively flat profile. This type of knurl will do well in higher rep/frequency training since it will be easier on the hands. Feedback has been overall positive as it relates to the grip, but if you’re looking for heavier attempts, PR attempts, etc… you may want to reach for the chalk or straps.
This particular version of the bar does offer a center knurl, which some will prefer if they’re looking for that extra texture, especially on back squats. Dual knurl marks make it easy to perform powerlifting movements as well as Olympic Style lifts.
This bar offers a 28.5mm shaft, which is a common diameter for a multi-purpose bar. It bridges the gap between powerlifting and Oly lifting and creates a shaft that has a nice blend of whip and rigidity. The tensile strength on the bar is on the lower end of the spectrum at 150,000 PSI. If you’re an advanced lifter or someone who is lifting a significant amount of weight, a higher tensile strength option will be more suitable. The Rep Gladiator MX Bar, which you can read about here, would be a good example within the Rep Fitness family.
The bright zinc shaft will provide a good-not-great feel and you’ll get the same when it comes to oxidation resistance.
The sleeves on the Rep Sabre Bar are smooth, which some people, like myself, prefer. While grooved sleeves do tend to keep the plates on the bar a little better when not using collars, smooth sleeves are much quieter to use.
The sleeves are also coated in bright zinc and they utilize bronze bushings to spin the bar. Bushings are very common in a multi-purpose bar since they create a spin that’s smooth, controlled, and capable of handling a variety of lifts. They are also a less expensive part, which helps to keep the price down compared to bearings.
The Rep Sabre Bar overall has a clean look to it, but it’s not one that’s necessarily going to stick out. Bright zinc has a nice polish in its early life, but it’s recommended that you oil it with 3-in-1 or something similar to protect against oxidation. Eventually, you may see some spots and some degradation of the look, but this is purely cosmetic and it won’t have any effect on the performance of the bar.
The sleeves also use a bright zinc finish, which is fairly common. Again, use some oil on it every once in a while and you’ll keep them looking good for a longer amount of time.
The end cap uses a simple design, which is consistent with the Rep branding.
Features & Highlights
- Bright Zinc – Bright Zinc is a cost efficient plating that does an OK job at fighting off rust. You won’t get the same feel as you would with a non-plated finish like bare steel, stainless steel, etc… but you get a good blend of feel and rust resistance without the larger price tag.
- 28.5mm Shaft – The 28.5mm shaft is common in multi-purpose bars. You’ll be able to perform a variety of lifts, but you won’t get the same whip or the same rigidity as you would with a dedicated Oly or power bar.
- Smooth Sleeves – The smooth sleeves will generally create less noise when loading/unloading plates compared to a grooved sleeve.
- Center Knurl – The center knurl on this version of the Sabre bar is great for those who work in lower rep schemes and/or like the additional tactile sensation that it offers.
What They’re Saying at Repfitness.com
The Rep Sabre Bar w/ Center Knurl receives very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.9/5 at repfitness.com, here are some of the things they have said:
- I just received mine. This is a really, really well-made piece of equipment. Its my first olympic barbell — I have been using standard barbells — and I couldn’t be happier. i bought the model with the center knurl, and the knurling is perfect. It was really well packed for shipping and the customer service experience with Rep Fitness has been first-rate. I will absolutely, definitively be making more purchases from this excellent company.”
- “Very comfortable knurling. I’m even happier with the bar than I expected.”
- “Newbie here – first barbell for my home gym and it works great!”
- “When I decided to build a home gym the barbell was one of the items I considered picking up locally to save some money. I’m extremely happy that I didn’t. Smooth plate additions and removals, nicely balanced, just the right amount of grip.”
- “I purchased a 20kg and 15kg sabre bar and they are awesome, especially for the price. I highly recommend if you are looking for a good bar for a decent price. knurling is good, not too aggressive but good for deadlifts and other power/explosive movement s without compromising grip.”
- “The bar is fantastic! It’s my second Sabre bar from Rep Fitness. The knurling is perfect, not too coarse.”
- “The only reason I give it a 4 star is I would like slightly more aggressive knurling, but that’s just a personal choice.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar, but stay tuned!
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Rep Sabre Bar w/ Center Knurl.