Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar
- Manufacturer: Texas Power Bars/Buddy Capps
- Purpose: Powerlifting
- Bar Weight: 20kg
- Gender: Men
- Tensile Strength: 190,000
- Yield Strength: N/A
- Knurl Type: Aggressive
- Center Knurl: Yes
- Knurl Marks: Powerlifting
- Shaft Finish: Bare Steel (also available in hard chrome, black zinc, and Cerakote)
- Shaft Diameter: 28.5mm
- Sleeve Finish: Bare Steel or Chrome
- Sleeve Type: Grooved
- Rotation System: Bushing
- Made In: USA
- Warranty: Lifetime
Read below to get a closer look at the Texas Power Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Texas Power Bar
The Texas Power Bar is one of the most iconic power bars in existence. It's been used in international competitions for decades by some of the world's most elite lifters.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Bare Steel – This bar comes standard in bare steel. Bare Steel is the most cost effective “finish” available because… well… it's not finished in anything. Because of that, it ranks very highly in the ‘feel' department. You'll get a completely raw texture that provides outstanding grip. It also takes chalk very well. The downside to bare steel is that it's very prone to oxidation. There is no preventing it, although 3-in-1 oil or similar is commonly used to mitigate it.
- Other Finish Options – This bar is also available for an upcharge in hard chrome, black zinc, and Cerakote. All of these finishes are better at oxidation resistance, but they don't offer the same raw feeling as bare steel due to their platings.
- 28.5mm Shaft – The 28.5mm shaft on the Texas Power Bar is slightly thinner than the traditional 29mm on most power bars. This will generally allow for a more comfortable grip, especially when using hook grip. That said, if you're a competitive powerlifter who lifts in federations that require 29mm bars, you may want to train for specificity with a 29mm bar. Still, the Texas Power Bar has a strong reputation within the powerlifting industry.
- Grooved Sleeves – The grooved sleeves will tend to keep the plates on the bar better than a smooth sleeve when not using collars, but they will also be louder.
- Center Knurl – The bar does offer a center knurl in the same pattern as the outer knurl.
- American Made – This bar is made in America.
- History – The Texas Power Bar is a legendary bar from Buddy Capps. It has been used in many a powerlifting competition, and set hundreds of records at all levels, from state to worldwide, have been set while using this bar. It's a piece of powerlifting history.
From the Manufacturer
When I started lifting weights with Olympic bars back in the 1960’s, I noticed that there was hardly any grip. The knurling on these bars was so light when the bars were new, that now years later they were almost slick. The sleeves were held on to the bar with a threaded end cap and the inside collars were held in place with a set screw. Each sleeve consisted of three pieces.
The goal was to create a bar that would have and keep a better knurled grip. A bar, whose sleeves wouldn’t slide in to the center. A maintenance free bar.
The Result – The Texas Power Bar
The shafts are center less ground, demagnetized and oiled to the max before shipping to Texas. Once at our production facility, we machine and then knurl each shaft to create a grip that is still the best in the industry. Texas Power Bars have different finishes available including black zinc and chrome plating. The sleeves are are available raw or chrome plated.
Big tensile strength numbers sound very impressive and we have them but, the proof is on the platform. Hundreds of state, national, international and world powerlifting records have been and continue to be set and broken on the The Texas Power Bar.
What They're Saying at Texaspowerbars.com
The Texas Power Bar receives positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.5/5 texaspowerbars.com, here are some of the things they have said:
- “I have Rogue bars, Kabuki bars and Eleiko bars. The Texas Powerbar belongs in the conversation with even those much more expensive barbells. It's actually my go-to squat bar right now (this might change when my kabuki squat bar arrives).”
- “I purchased the Texas power bar and it is freaking awesome! It's been my workhorse for anything except deadlift (for which I have a deadlift bar)since it arrived.”
- “Love my new Texas Power Bar! I have a couple of other bars, but this is by far the best yet. I like a more aggressive knurling for deadlifts and bench, and this bar delivers!”
- “Good price for my garage gym. this bar is quality. I bought my Texas power bar in March and used it almost every day. Aggressive knurling and very durable. I can see this bar lasting for many years.”
- “This bar is by far the most balanced bar I've ever lifted with. Been lifting for thirty years, and never had a bar feel so perfectly and evenly distributed on center. With my lifts going up so easy on flat bench press, I thought maybe the bar only weighed 35lbs! Had to go weigh it to be certain – 44lbs on the dot (standard for 20kg). Have two other bars, one from rogue (a close second) and another one that's a distant third in my book. Love this bar, couldn't recommend the product or Texas Power Bar Co. more highly.”
- “By far the best bar that has ever touched my hands. Amazing quality and knurling. I chose this over the deadlift or squat bar because it seems to fit the niche of not only being an all around good bar but it can do everything while being within powerlifting specs. 10/10 would recommend”
- “I’ve had my bar for less than a month and it’s rusted out. It sits next to my cheap weights that I got from Amazon 3 years ago and they are still solid. I’ve sent email requests for a month and still have not heard back.”
- There are numerous negative reviews discussing the lack of communication during COVID-19 and existing orders. There is no history of this happening prior to the pandemic.
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar: