Rep Fitness Gladiator WL Bearing Bar
- Manufacturer: Rep Fitness
- Purpose: Olympic Weightlifting
- Bar Weight: 20kg
- Gender: Men
- Tensile Strength: 230,000
- Yield Strength: 210,000
- Knurl Type: Medium
- Center Knurl: Yes
- Knurl Marks: Olympic Weightlifting
- Shaft Finish: Hard Chrome
- Shaft Diameter: 28mm
- Sleeve Finish: Hard Chrome
- Sleeve Type: Grooved
- Rotation System: Bearing & Bushing
- Made In: China
- Warranty: 5 Years
Read below to get a detailed look at the REP Gladiator WL Bearing Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
REP Fitness Gladiator WL Bearing Bar
The REP Fitness Gladiator WL Bearing Bar is a budget-friendly Olympic Weightlifting bar with several nice features.
With a very strong tensile strength, a reported yield strength, a center knurl, etc… there are several things to really like about this bar. When you factor in a price tag of under $270, it becomes even more attractive.
Here are some further details about the bar:
The knurling on the REP Gladiator WL Bar has a hilly pattern to it as opposed to a sharper profile you would find on mountainous or volcanic knurl. It isn't going to be aggressive, but you'll still get a good grip that is suitable for Olympic lifts. Because it's a more mild bar, you'll be able to use it in high rep/frequency settings with minimal risk of damaging your hands. It's a great everyday training bar.
The bar includes single Olympic Weightlifting rings, and it does include a center knurl, which isn't all that common on Oly training bars at this price point. If you like the additional texture on the center of the bar for back squats, etc… this may appeal to you.
This bar offers a 28mm shaft, which is industry-standard for a true Olympic Weightlifting bar. This will give you a nice whip on the bar for all your Oly movements.
Where this bar really shines is in its tensile strength and yield strength. The bar has an impressive tensile strength of 230k PSI, which is well above the average in its class. Furthermore, the bar has a reported yield strength of 210k. Most companies, including REP on some of their other bars, don't report a yield strength, despite it being a more practical measure. Tensile strength measures the point at which a bar will literally break, whereas yield strength measures the point at which a bar will experience permanent deformation (i.e. won't go back to being straight).
The Gladiator WL Bearing Bar is therefore one of the stronger bars on the market if you're looking at those measures.
The hard chrome shaft will provide a good-not-great feel and you'll get the same when it comes to resistance to oxidation.
The sleeves on the Gladiator WL Bearing Bar are grooved, which differs from several other smooth-sleeved bars from REP. The main differences between the two are that grooved sleeves are louder and they tend to keep the plates on better when you're not using a collar. At the end of the day, it all comes down to preference.
The sleeves are coated in hard chrome and they utilize 3 needle bearings and 2 bushings (per sleeve) to spin the bar. While you won't get quite the same spin as you would on a 100% bearing bar, such as the REP Gladiator MX, you will still get a quality, consistent spin.
Aesthetically, the Gladiator WL Bearing Bar is a good-looking bar. Chrome is generally a nice-looking finish that has a cool polish to it. If you train in a humid environment, it's recommended that you oil this bar on occasion with something like 3-in-1 oil to keep it looking good for a longer time.
I like the blue band on the collar with the matching blue end cap. The band is also helpful if you're in a training environment with a lot of people/bars, as it helps easily identify the bar.
Features & Highlights
- Hard Chrome – Chrome is a cost-efficient plating that does a good-but-not-great job at fighting off oxidation. You won’t get the same feel as you would with a non-plated finish like bare steel, stainless steel, etc… but you get a nice blend of feel and rust resistance without the larger price tag.
- 28mm Shaft – The 28mm shaft on the Bar will generate whip on the bar that you would expect with an Oly bar.
- Grooved Sleeves – The grooved sleeves will tend to keep the plates on the bar better than a smooth sleeve when not using collars, but they will also be louder.
- Center Knurl – Unlike most Oly bars in this price range, the Rep Gladiator WL Bearing Bar does offer a center knurl, which will provide that extra grip that some prefer.
What They're Saying at Repfitness.com
The Rep Gladiator WL Bearing Bar receives very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.9/5 at repfitness.com, here are some of the things they have said:
- “Ordered this bar a couple months back. It is by far the best barbell we have! No regrets at all in buying it!”
- “Wowzas this is a good bar. Very inexpensive alternative to some other brands, especially for a bearing bar vs bushing. Great knurling!”
- “Everything about REP's Gladiator Barbell is quality. The look and feel of it is amazing. It's better than any bar I've ever used. I'm extremely satisfied!”
- “This bar is legit! From the packaging to the first time you grab a hold of it you know this bar is well made. Smooth bearings, comfortable knurling and great looks too! My son and I love it!”
- “The bar survived delivery and is exactly as described in all the evaluations. rotates wonderfully, knurl is perfect mid-range. I do like aggressive knurl but this is just right for weight and reps. Looks great too, want to pick it up when you see it.”
- “I am extremely impressed with this bar. I have used Rogue Ohio and Chan bars in the past, and this one so far out performs them. The bearings are very smooth and the knurling is great. It's not overly aggressive, but gives tons of grip. It works great for all kinds of lifts so far.”
- “Excellent workmanship. Solid construction with great finish and STRONG under weight. Knurling is perfect. Excellent price. Another excellent product from Rep Fitness.”
- “The sleeve part of the bars scratch very easy. Only used bar 5 times and it appears very worn. Excellent Olympic bar in terms of functionality.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar, but stay tuned!
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the REP Gladiator WL Bearing Bar: