Rogue Ohio Bar – Custom
- Manufacturer: Rogue Fitness
- Purpose: Multipurpose
- Bar Weight: 20kg
- Gender: Men
- Tensile Strength: 190,000
- Yield Strength: N/A
- Knurl Type: Medium
- Center Knurl: No
- Knurl Marks: Dual
- Shaft Finish: Cerakote
- Shaft Diameter: 28.5mm
- Sleeve Finish: Cerakote or Chrome
- Sleeve Type: Grooved
- Rotation System: Bronze or Composite Bushing
- Made In: USA
- Warranty: Lifetime
Read below to get a closer look at the Rogue Custom Ohio Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Rogue Ohio Bar – Custom
The Rogue Ohio Bar is one of the most popular multipurpose bars on the market, and it comes in a variety of finishes at different price points. On this version, Rogue has given you the option to customize several aspects of the bar.
The shaft is finished in Cerakote, and you’ll have the option to choose your color, of which there are currently thirteen. Additionally, you’ll be able to select the sleeve finish either in black Cerakote or in hard chrome (I recommend chrome – see below). From there, you can choose a bronze bushing or a composite bushing in either black or red. Lastly, you can add text to the center of the shaft or even an image to truly make this bar your own.
Equipped with a 28.5mm shaft, dual knurl marks, and either bronze or composite bushings, the Ohio Bar is built for a variety of lifts, ranging from Olympic lifts to power lifts.
Here are some further details about the bar:
The knurling on the Ohio Bar naturally has a medium-depth profile with a relatively flat surface. This creates a balanced-feel that works well across the entire lift spectrum. It’s particularly good for higher volume/rep training. Most users report very favorably on the knurl pattern, although some find the Cerakote to lean towards the mild side. If you’re looking to use this bar on heavier lifts, you may find yourself reaching for chalk or straps.
With Cerakote being an applied coating, it will tend to fill in some of the knurl depth. Compared to a bar without a coating (stainless, bar steel, etc..) or a conversion coating (black oxide, etc..), Cerakote will make the bar feel slightly less aggressive. Cerakote does tend to take chalk well though.
The Ohio Bar does not come with center knurl, which makes it comfortable in a variety of positions. The bar also includes “ROGUE” stamped in the center of the bar, which helps with alignment in the absence of the center knurl. Dual knurl marks indicate that this is a true multi-purpose bar.
This bar has a 28.5mm shaft, which is a very common diameter for a multi-purpose bar. This creates a shaft that plays nicely with weightlifting and powerlifting since it balances whip and rigidity well. The Ohio Bar offers a 190,000 PSI tensile strength, putting it right in the wheelhouse for a multi-purpose bar.
The Cerakote coating will provide excellent corrosion resistance, making this a great option if you train in a humid environment.
In addition to the “ROGUE” text in the center of the bar, the customization on this bar allows you to insert your own text or even an image on the opposite side in a variety of colors.
The sleeves on the Custom Ohio Bar are grooved, and they can be purchased in either black Cerakote of hard chrome. The benefit of grooved sleeves is that they tend to keep plates in place better than smooth sleeves if/when you’re not using collars. The downside is that they make a loud zip noise in comparison when sliding plates on and off.
I would recommend hard chrome sleeves because of the durability over time. As plates slide on and off a Cerakote sleeve, you’ll begin to see scrapes and scuffs that take away from the aesthetic and possibly expose raw steel. With hard chrome, you won’t have this concern, although some maintenance is still recommended to mitigate oxidation.
The sleeves rotate using either bronze or composite bushings, both of which are going to provide a smooth and steady spin. You’ll also have the ability to add text to the upper and lower parts of the inner collar, which is a very cool customization feature.
Aesthetically, the custom version of the Ohio Bar is whatever you want it to be. With the option to pick from multiple colors, change bushing color, add text/images, etc… you can add some flavor to your gym. The biggest question when it comes to Cerakote is longevity. We’ve already talked about the sleeves, but on the shaft, it’s important to be mindful of the coating. That means using j-cups with UHMW to help protect metal-on-metal contact. Otherwise, you risk chipping the Cerakote, which can be unsightly and also allow rust to form on the bare steel.
The end caps on the Ohio Bar are classic, and I think they’re one of the best in the game. The outline of Ohio with “R” in the center is a refined look. The difference between this bar and the other Ohio Bars is that the background of these end caps is black, not red. It looks very slick.
Features & Highlights
- Cerakote Finish – Cerakote is a high-quality finish option that has been made popular on barbells due to its outstanding resistance to rust and corrosion. Originally created to be used on firearms, Cerakote has been shown to withstand abuse and harsh environments. If you train in a humid environment like a garage gym, Cerakote is a great option. The potential downside to Cerakote is that it’s applied on top of the shaft, which has a tendency to remove some of the raw feel of a bare steel, stainless steel, etc.. shaft.
- Multiple Color Options – The bar includes a variety of color options including black, blue, red, green, orange, maroon, etc…
- Customization – In addition to picking the color, you can choose your sleeve finish, bushing type/color, and you can add text/images to your bar’s shaft/collar.
- 28.5mm Shaft – The 28.5mm shaft on the Rogue Custom Ohio Bar is comfortable in the hands and provides a nice balance between rigid and whippy, making it ideal for a variety of lifts.
- No Center Knurl – The Rogue Custom Ohio Bar does not offer a center knurl, which is useful on high rep training sessions and/or in cases where a lifter wants a more comfortable bar.
- Grooved Sleeves in Chrome or Cerakote– The bar can be purchased with either black cerakote sleeves or chrome sleeves.
- American Made – This bar is 100% made in America.
What They’re Saying at Roguefitness.com
The Rogue Custom Ohio Bar receives very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.9/5, here are some of the things they have said at roguefitness.com:
- “Love how much I could make my bar my own. Great craftmanship.”
- “Quick to personalize and the tool to visualize your bar worked great. Love how it turned out!”
- “Got this bar to kinda complete my Rouge garage gym. I’m no power lifter or competitor and I couldn’t tell you a good whip from a bad whip on a bar but I just couldn’t contaminate my Rogue gear with a Chinese brand bar!! Bar is awesome with my cerekote colors AND it’s made in America. Buy once and cry once you won’t regret it.”
- “This is a awesome barbell for all around use. The knurling is perfect for most lifters. It won’t tear up your hands.”
- “I am so in love this this bar! Great quality. At first I was treating this bar like a new born baby. I was afraid to ding or scratch it. After a couple dozen workouts I’ve realized that the paint is holding up well and not sensitive like I thought it might be. The bar is very well balanced with a great knurl. Highly recommend!”
- “Bar is great. Functionally- everything you would expect from Rogue. Only reason I give it 4 stars is the Tek Grey Cam finish. It looks great BUT the pattern makes it very hard to see the knurling so I find myself searching for where to grab the bar mid-workout. My work around has been to chalk the bar in advance. I would have expected Rogue to ensure the knurling is still easily visible for any finish they sell.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
The Rogue Ohio Bar was a winner in the Garage Gym Lab 2022 Best Barbell Awards.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Rogue Custom Ohio Bar.