Vulcan Strength Buffalo Bar
- Manufacturer: Vulcan Strength
- Purpose: Buffalo Bar
- Bar Weight: 45 lbs
- Shaft Diameter: 32mm
- Length: 87.5″
- Shaft Finish: Bright Zinc
- Sleeve Finish: Bright Zinc
- Sleeve Length: 16.5″
- Olympic-Sized Sleeves: Yes
- Made In: USA
- Warranty: N/A
Read below to get a detailed look at the Vulcan Strength Buffalo Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Vulcan Strength Buffalo Bar
The Vulcan Strength Buffalo Bar is a high-quality Buffalo Bar with some nice features at a nice price.
I own and use this bar frequently. It’s one that matches closely with the Kabuki Duffalo Bar at a much cheaper price, but it does lack some features in comparison.
This bar is identical to the Fringe Sport Longhorn Bar.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- The Bend – The standout feature of a buffalo-style barbell is the bend. The Buffalo Bar from Vulcan creates a very comfortable and stable bar – the bend is very reminiscent of the Kabuki Duffalo bar, if not identical.
- Bright Zinc – Bright Zinc is a cost-efficient plating that does an OK job at fighting off rust. You won’t get the same feel as you would with a non-plated finish like bare steel, stainless steel, etc… but you get a good blend of feel and rust resistance without the larger price tag.
- Knurling – This bar has a rather aggressive knurl with a mountain pattern that has had the peaks removed in order to eliminate a harsh bite. Similar to the Duffalo Bar, the Vulcan Buffalo bar has a wide center knurl and smooth center ring that makes it easy to line up in the center every time.
- Long, Olympic-Sized Sleeves – The Vulcan Buffalo Bar offers a loadable sleeve length of 16.5″, which is longer than most traditional bars, but less than the Kabuki Duffalo Bar (17.25″). The sleeves are also Olympic-sized, which means you can use traditional collars. Lastly, these sleeves include a slight upward angle, which is said to change the center of gravity to offset the bend and better match a traditional barbell.
- Roll Pin Rotation System – Unlike the commonly used bushing system, the Vulcan bar uses a roll pin system to spin the sleeves. Given that the main use of this bar is squats/bench and not something more dynamic, it’s a suitable system, in my opinion. Still, I would rather see a bushing system like on the Kabuki Duffalo bar.
- Bar Length – The Vulcan bar offers an overall length of 87.5″ compared to the 95″ on the Kabuki bar. If space is an issue for you, this is something to consider. It also makes this bar 45 lbs compared to 55 lbs on the Duffalo bar. If you struggle with gym math… another consideration.
- Weight Limit – This bar offers a weight limit of 800 lbs, which is plenty for most people, but it lags behind the Duffalo bar, which offers a 1,500 lb limit. It’s unknown if both of these are testing a static hold or a dynamic hold.
From the Manufacturer
A Vulcan Buffalo Bar is a powerlifting barbell that is made with a curve to allow the lifter/exerciser to position the torso in a way that can alleviate strain on the biceps, back, and chest. For many, this position will benefit their progress in becoming stronger in the squat exercise and other exercises that incorporate multi-joint movement and generating power from the floor up. Unlike a Safety Squat Bar, the Vulcan Buffalo bar does not change the points of emphasis of the squat exercise.
If you are looking for a pretty bar to hang on your wall that will never see heavyweight, please keep looking elsewhere. The Vulcan Buffalo barbell is made for serious weight training only. It is made to handle up to 800 lbs of weight. The finish is industrial bright zinc, not a show finish. The knurl is medium sharp. Please be aware that knurl will feel differently on certain parts of the barbell because it is bent! The bending of the bar bends the knurl too! Knurl cannot be cut on a bend. The knurl is cut when the barbell is straight of course, THEN the bar is bent.
What They’re Saying at Vulcan Strength
The Vulcan Strength Buffalo Bar receives positive, but limited feedback from users. With an average rating of 5/5, here are some of the things people have said at vulcanstrength.com.
- “This barbell is awesome! I have trouble with the straight bar and shoulder pain. I tried a SSB from another company and it just didn’t feel right, so I decided to order Vulcan’s Buffalo Bar as a Birthday present to myself to see if it felt more like the straight bar without the shoulder pain. It feels great and really fits across my back during squats. I have also been using it for bench press and it also feels better than the straight bar to me.”
- None Noted
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has reviewed this bar. You can read the full review here or check out the synopsis below.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Vulcan Strength Buffalo Bar: