American Barbell Safety Squat Bar
- Manufacturer: American Barbell
- Purpose: Safety Squat Bar
- Bar Weight: 53 lbs
- Handle Type: Long/Angled
- Knurled/Textured Handles: No
- Shaft Finish: Powder Coat
- Sleeve Finish: Powder Coat
- Olympic-Sized Sleeves: Yes
- Made In: USA
- Warranty: N/A
Read below to get a detailed look at the American Barbell Safety Squat Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
American Barbell SSB
The American Barbell Safety Squat Bar gets the award for one of the most unconventional-looking SSBs.
With very thick shoulder pads and a multi-directional handle system, it stands out in the sea of safety squat bars.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Powder Coat Finish – Powder Coat is a very common finish on specialty bars. It does a good job at limiting oxidation, but it does tend to show scuffs easily, especially on the sleeves and rack contact points.
- Smooth, Long, & Angled Handles – The American Barbell Safety Squat Bar has a very unique handle system where it drops down at 90 degrees before extending out 90″ above the thighs. This is inherently different than any other SSB because your palms face the ground vs. towards each other. Because the handles also protrude outward, your arms also sit further from the body as opposed to directly adjacent to your body like on other bars.
- Yoke – This bar includes very large rollers on the shoulders and a more conventional vinyl-covered pad on the neck.
- Non-Olympic Sized Sleeve – The sleeves on the AB SSB are not Olympic-sized, which means you will need specialty collars. My personal recommendation is Proloc since they can be used on any bar. They would very well and they're well-priced.
- Loadable Sleeve Length – This Vulcan Safety Squat Bar offers a 12″ loadable sleeve length, which is shorter than most safety squat bars that offer 15″+.
From the Manufacturer
The American Barbell Safety Squat Bar offers a range of training benefits and is an excellent tool for building overall strength and stability, as well as max-load lifts. It is suitable for athletes with limited mobility, shoulder, elbow or wrist limitations, as well as those in recovery/rehabilitation. With regular use, expect to also see gains outside of the squat – namely in your deadlift. The safety squat bar is great for all types of squats, lunges, good mornings, Zercher squats and back raises. It is also an excellent tool for training the posterior chain.
What They're Saying at American Barbell
The American Barbell Safety Squat receives fair, but limited, feedback from users. With an average rating of 5/5, here are some of the things people have said at americanbarbell.com:
- “I ordered the Safety Squat Bar because of my arthritic shoulders. I am a 71 year old former power lifter who really can no longer hold an Olympic Bar in place on my shoulders in the normal way. I currently am a Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and wanted to get back to some serious squatting. The American Barbell Safety Squat Bar is just what I needed! I particularly like the position of the handles in front of the bar located around the waist area. That positioning takes all of the stress off of my shoulders, elbows and wrists. Great Job American Barbell!!!”
- “This bar is fantastic!!!”
- “Pads not big enough. The extended arms were shorter than expected.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the American Barbell Safety Squat Bar: