- Manufacturer: Rogue Fitness
- Purpose: Safety Squat Bar
- Bar Weight: 70 lbs
- Handle Type: Long/straight
- Knurled/Textured Handles: No
- Shaft Finish: Cerakote
- Sleeve Finish: Cerakote
- Olympic-Sized Sleeves: Yes
- Made In: USA
- Warranty: N/A
Read below to get a detailed look at the Rogue SB-1 including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
The Rogue SB-1 is a well-priced traditional safety squat bar with features that include long, straight handles, a Cerakote finish, and a hefty weight relative to others.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Cerakote Finish – Cerakote is a high-quality finish option that has been made popular on barbells due to its outstanding resistance to rust and corrosion. Originally created to be used on firearms, Cerakote has been shown to withstand abuse and harsh environments. If you train in a humid environment like a garage gym, Cerakote is a great option. The downside to Cerakote is that it tends to scratch easily, especially on contact points with the rack and plates.
- Camber Drop – The Rogue SB-1 offers a 5.5″ drop which is pretty consistent with other well-known and respected safety squat bars, like the Elitefts SS Yoke.
- Smooth, Long, & Straight Handles – The SB-1 includes a relatively long handle system that, unlike other long-handled bars, is perfectly straight. The handles themselves are coated and they do not offer any raised texture like grooves, knurling, etc…
- Closed Cell Foam Yoke – The SB-1 uses a fairly thin yoke pad made of closed cell foam and a vinyl cover. The biggest downside to this bar, according to users and myself, is that it's not a very comfortable yoke in comparison to some other Safety Squat Bars.
- Olympic-Sized Sleeve – A nice feature of this bar is that the sleeves are Olympic-sized, which isn't always the case on specialty bars. This means you can use standard collars. A downside is they're Cerakote, which again, may lead to some aesthetic issues down the road.
- Hefty, Hefty, Hefty – This bar weighs in at 70lbs, making it the heaviest SSB on the market.
- American Made – This bar is made in the USA.
From the Manufacturer
The weight distribution is unique to this bar. Training with the Rogue Safety Squat bar is known to tax your anterior chain; the weight distribution falls between the front squat and the high-bar back squat to vary your power output training. This bar is a safer option for intense squat progressions or maximum load lifts. This bar is known to increase your maximum working weight when compared to the traditional back squat.
What They're Saying at Rogue Fitness
The Rogue SB-1 receives very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.8/5, here are some of the things people have said at roguefitness.com:
- “I cannot stress enough how amazing this bar is. It’s comfortable, very well balanced, and sturdy. I’ve never enjoyed squatting so much. Highly recommend everyone purchase this product.”
- “I purchased this product a couple of months ago and now it is the only bar I use for squats. My sons were a little skeptical at first but now it seems to be their favorite bar for squats.”
- “I’ve done hundreds of squat sessions; High-Bar, Low-Bar, Front, Goblet, etc. Whatever variation I chose, I would rarely feel it anywhere but my hips, hamstrings, and lower back. Seldom felt it in my quads. After using the SSB for about 15 sessions, I feel it in my entire thigh, and especially in my quads. It helps me find my center of gravity; which I could never nail down with the other variations. Very good quality as well.”
- “After years of putting it off, I finally bought one. Rouge has a great reputation for tough equipment, this bar did not disappoint. Going heavy every week and no shoulder pain, great concentration on the quads. Don't skimp by buying cheaper safety squat bars.”
- “Shoulder issues prevent me from doing back squats. This is a heavy duty well designed product that works well. Even if you don't have shoulder issues I would recommend it. Really works your core as the bar wants to push you forward.”
- “The bar could definitely use thicker, heavier duty padding though.”
- “I am not a fan of painted sleeves because they wear over time specially when you are loading and unloading plates.”
- “Only downside is the length of the bar is too long to fit in my barbell holder due to a small garage.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Rogue SB-1: