Bells of Steel Utility Power Rack
- Manufacturer: Bells of Steel
- Rack Type: 4-Post Power Rack
- Tube Size: 2.3×2.3
- Hole Size: 5/8″
- Hole Spacing: Westside (1″ ) through bench zone. 2″ above and below.
- Height: 88.5″
- Footprint: 32.5″ Deep/51″ Wide (47.25″ on uprights)
- Interior Depth/Width: 24″/42.5″
- Weight: 150lb
- Numbered Uprights: No
- Color: Black
- Made In: Import
Read below to get a detailed look at the Bells of Steel Utility Power Rack including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Bells of Steel Utility Power Rack
The Bells of Steel Utility Power Rack is a low-profile 4-post power rack at an attractive price point. This rack offers 5/8″ holes, Westside hole spacing, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
This is one of Bells of Steel’s mid-range power racks and it’s the most space-friendly of the bunch.
Read more below.
Features & Highlights
- Steel Size – The Utility Power Rack from Bells of Steel is constructed with 2.3×2.3 11-gauge steel and it’s assembled with a bolt-together design. This size tubing is unique to Bells of Steel. While they offer numerous attachments for the rack, compatibility with outside companies is very limited.
- 4-Post Design – As a 4-post rack, you’ll save some space compared to a 6-post rack. There are two other differences worth considering: plate storage and stability. On a 4-post rack, while you can store plates on the back upright, you may find that the plates can interfere with your setup when lifting inside the rack. In terms of stability, this rack will need to be bolted into the ground or a platform. Concrete anchors are included.
- Hole/Hardware Sizing – This rack uses 5/8″ hardware, which is a very common hardware size on power racks. The rack will accommodate all of Bells of Steel’s attachments, but outside compatibility is limited due to the tube sizing (read more in the compatibility section below).
- Hole Spacing – The BoS Utility Power Rack offers Westside hole spacing, which is a popular feature on 5/8″ racks. The holes are spaced 1″ apart through the bench zone, allowing for more adjustments on your J-cups and safeties. This can be useful for people who are “in-between” sizes. Above and below the Westside section are holes with standard 2″ spacing between them.
- Exterior Rack Dimensions – This is the smallest standalone power rack from Bells of Steel with a total length of 32.5″ and a total width of 51″ (includes footplates). In terms of the uprights themselves, the dimensions are 28.6″ deep and 47.2″ wide. This width is generally considered to be beneficial over wider racks (49″) because it gives you more room to cleanly un-rack and re-rack your bar without concern of clipping the uprights with the plates on the bar. The rack stands 88.5″ tall.
- Interior Rack Dimensions – The interior lifting area measures 24″ deep, which is enough room to lift in, but which also might feel cramped to some users.
- Safety Options – This rack comes equipped with pin & pipe safeties. While pin & pipe safeties are common and they do their job, they’re more tedious to set up and they aren’t as protective on your barbells. Bells of Steel does sell suspension spotter straps that you connect to the top crossmembers. They also sell safety spotter arms that extend off the front of the rack. I would recommend them both over the pin & pipes.
- No Color Options – The BoS Utility Rack is currently only sold with a black powder coat.
What’s Included in the Box
The Bells of Steel Utility Power Rack includes several pieces as standard:
- (2) Triple Padded J-Cups
- (2) Pin & Pipe Safeties
- (1) 1.25″ Diameter Pull-Up Bar (Bare Steel Finish)
- (4) Band Pegs
- (4) 88.5″ Uprights
- (4) 24″ Crossmembers
- Concrete Anchors*
* If you’re bolting into a platform, I recommend using lag screws that you can find at your local home improvement store.
The Bells of Steel Utility Power Rack is constructed with 2.3×2.3 steel and 5/8″ hardware, which is compatible with Bells of Steel Attachments.
The Lat/Low row allows you to perform cable movements off the back of the rack, the lever arms open up a variety of movement possibilities, the suspension straps are more protective of your barbell compared to pin & pipes, the Y-Dip gives the option to perform rack-mounted dips, and the adjustable monolift eliminates the walk-out on squats and makes bench press much more efficient.
As for attachment compatibility outside of Bells of Steel, because they use an odd tube size, options are very limited. They do use a standard 5/8″ hole, so any attachment that only uses the hole will work. An example would be a landmine attachment. Any attachment that wraps around an upright, however, will not work without modification. An example would be a J-Cup. Three notable places to look for 5/8″ attachments are Rogue Fitness, Titan Fitness, and Fringe Sport.
What They’re Saying at Bells of Steel
The Bells of Steel Utility Power Rack receives excellent feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.9/5, here are some of the things people have said at bellsofsteel.us.
- “I very much like this new rack setup. It doesn’t take too much space so my platform is still functional and the height allows me to do overhead press with room to spare. Another note on the height, I’m 5′ 10″ and I have to slightly jump to grab the pullup bar. As for the quality, it’s quite good and I see no manufacturing defect.”
- “My overall experience with Bells Of Steel was fantastic. There was a delay due to COVID and the team at BOS was always quick to reply to my request for updates on my order. Ultimately the product was worth the wait. The utility power rack is perfect for my small home gym. Solid and easy to assemble. I’ve only had it a few weeks and it has made the home gym my favorite room in my house.”
- “Product is good quality and functions well. There were no issues with the delivery or setup. Overall great value.”
- “This is an awesome power rack, especially for the price! It’s very solid and is sturdier than I expected.“
- “Excellent rack. Westside spacing is key. Stability is awesome considering I didn’t have to bolt it down. Relatively easy to put together. Packaging was great. Powdercoating was excellent. J cups are lined better than other companies. I know many like to see BOS for bang-for-buck which is obvious but it’s beyond that. The CS has always been excellent and the product itself if you didn’t know the pricing would easily hold its own and may even exceed compared to other companies.”
- “My small gripe is that it uses its own metric dimensions. I get it that perhaps where it’s made that is the standard but it gives an inability to use other accessories which either isn’t available YET from BOS or won’t be developed because of cost. If it was the standard 2×3 or 3×3 with 5/8 or 1 inc hardware with a small price increase I truly believe there would never any reason to look elsewhere for a rack.”
- “I give this rack a 4/5. My only quarrel with the rack is the pin and pipe safety. It’s very wimpy to say that least especially compared to my titan pin and pipe safeties they are much smaller and weaker in comparison. Rack is a great price just know you have to upgrade the pine and pipe safeties for the best protection.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed the Bells of Steel Utility Power Rack.
The below racks were picked as alternatives to the Bells of Steel Utility Power Rack.