Black Widow Safety Squat Bar
- Manufacturer: Black Widow
- Purpose: Safety Squat Bar
- Bar Weight: 45 lbs
- Handle Type: Long/Angled
- Knurled/Textured Handles: No
- Shaft Finish: Powder Coat
- Sleeve Finish: Powder Coat
- Olympic-Sized Sleeves: No
- Made In: USA
- Warranty: N/A
Read below to get a detailed look at the Black Widow Safety Squat Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Black Widow Safety Squat Bar
The Black Widow Safety Squat Bar is a well-regarded safety squat bar with basic, but solid specs.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Powder Coat Finish – Powder Coat is a very common finish on specialty bars. It does a good job at limiting oxidation, but it does tend to show scuffs easily, especially on the sleeves and rack contact points.
- Smooth, Long, & Angled Handles – The Black Widow Safety Squat Bar includes long handles with a smooth finish, which some people prefer, and others do not. The idea behind longer handles is that it promotes a more vertical spine angle and improved lat activation. These handles can also be rotated to point outward.
- Yoke – This bar includes a traditional yoke with vinyl-covered padding around the neck and shoulders.
- Non-Olympic Sized Sleeve – The sleeves on the Black Widow Safety Squat Bar are not Olympic-sized, which means you will need specialty collars. My personal recommendation is Proloc since they can be used on any bar. They would very well and they’re well-priced.
- 45 lb Weight – Unlike many SSBs, the Black Widow Safety Squat Bar weighs 45 lbs, which keeps math consistent with traditional olympic bars.
From the Manufacturer
Other safety squat bars have short stubby arms. Our safety squat bar has curved long handles. They can be adjusted to be tight or wide grip.
Customers have had 650-700 pounds on this bar with no issues.
**Assembly instructions. Slide the handles all the way into arms, cap side out. Majority use the handles curve down. You can adjust from there depending on what feels comfortable. 3/4″ wrench needed to tighten bolts.***
**Note: Most olympic sized collars may not fit this bar. **
What They’re Saying at Black Widow
The Black Widow Safety Squat receives very good feedback from users. With an average rating of 5/5, here are some of the things people have said at blackwidowtg.com:
- “Great bar for squats and good mornings so far. Camber angle feels good. Padding is comfortable. Handles are the perfect length for me. Being only the normal 45 lbs makes it easier for hanging on the wall in my garage gym. The texture of the powder coat is quite aggressive, even on the plate sleeves, which seemed odd at first. Doesn’t work well with OSO axle collars because they are such a tight fit already, but I have found that it makes for extra grip on set screw or lock jaw type collars.”
- “This is an excellent SSB, and I highly recommend it. I’ve used EliteFTS and Crepinsek SSBs, and this bar ranks right up there with them. The great advantage this bar has though is it’s weight. It’s about 30 pounds lighter than both the EliteFTS and Crepinsek bars. That sounds minor, but when you’re hustling to get in a workout during a busy day, it makes a different. It’s a very carefully made bar. The padding is super comfortable (as opposed to the Rogue SSB, which is basically unusable). The welds are tight and everything measures accurately. Get this bar if you’re looking for an SSB.”
- “Perfect. First, they got the ergonomics right it’s balanced well and the handles can be adjusted to suit. Second, it’s reasonably sized, smaller and lighter than some competitors (a few inches under 7ft and 44 lbs) so it’s easier to negotiate in a home gym and doesn’t mess up your plate math, but can still handle serious weight.easier on old shoulders and knees too!”
- “This my third piece of BW equipment…..dip station/trap bar and this beauty, which I cannot recommend highly enough.”
- “This bar is top notch. I love using it. The bar balances perfectly on my traps and the padding is thick and looks durable. I have bought all my speciality bars from Dean and every bar is well made. Dean’s operation really is a one man show. I will continue to purchase all my speciality bars and racks from this American made veteran business.”
- “There are some minor spots where the powder coating could be better but overall am happy and would purchase again.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Black Widow Safety Squat Bar: