Buddy Capps Starting Strength 15 kg Bar
- Manufacturer: Texas Power Bars/Buddy Capps
- Purpose: Multipurpose
- Bar Weight: 15kg
- Gender: Men
- Tensile Strength: 190,000
- Yield Strength: N/A
- Knurl Type: Medium
- Center Knurl: No
- Knurl Marks: Dual
- Shaft Finish: Bare Steel
- Shaft Diameter: 25mm
- Sleeve Finish: Bare Steel
- Sleeve Type: Grooved
- Rotation System: Bushing
- Made In: USA
- Warranty: Lifetime
Read below to get a closer look at the 15kg Starting Strength Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Buddy Capps Starting Strength 15kg Bar
This bar was developed by Buddy Capps in collaboration with Mark Rippetoe of Starting Strength.
It's a fully bare steel multipurpose bar with one primary difference when compared to the Texas All American Bar: the collar is thicker at 3.25″ and shorter in length. This allows for a longer loadable sleeve for additional plate space.
Otherwise, the specs are very similar. The tensile strength comes in a 190,000 PSI, it has dual rings, no center knurl, a recessed end cap, and a pinned sleeve.
The bar is made in the USA and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Here are some further details about the bar:
Features & Highlights
- Bare Steel – Bare Steel is the most cost-effective “finish” available because… well… it's not finished in anything. Because of that, it ranks very highly in the ‘feel' department. You'll get a completely raw texture that provides outstanding grip. It also takes chalk very well. The downside to bare steel is that it's very prone to oxidation. There is no preventing it, although 3-in-1 oil or similar is commonly used to mitigate it.
- Medium Knurl – This bar offers a medium knurl that is very similar to the All American Bar.
- 25mm Shaft – The 25mm shaft on this bar is standard for a female bar and is generally more comfortable for those with smaller hands.
- Grooved Sleeves – The grooved sleeves will tend to keep the plates on the bar better than a smooth sleeve when not using collars, but they will also be louder.
- No Center Knurl – The bar does not offer a center knurl.
- American Made – This bar is made in America.
From the Manufacturer
The Starting Strength bar lineup was designed in 2018 by Buddy Capps and Texas Power Bars at the request of Mark Rippetoe for Starting Strength Gyms. These bars are bare steel all the way, a comfortable 28.5 mm* in diameter with the best knurl in the industry. The collars on the SS bars were redesigned with a bigger (3.25”) **diameter, shorter overall length, which also increases the plate space. The collars and sleeves are machined to a near smooth finish. The shafts have a center knurl (20 kg only) and dual ring marks. The 3-bar lineup includes a 20 kg, a 15 kg, and 10 kg option for all ages and strength levels. A natural steel bar that will age gracefully with your gym, The Starting Strength Bar will be your favorite piece of equipment for decades.
What They're Saying at Texaspowerbars.com
The Buddy Capps 15kg Starting Strength Bar receives positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 5/5 at texaspowerbars.com, here are some of the things they have said:
- “It's really, really beautiful. The craftsmanship really took me back and I'm very happy with my purchase. Extremely well made and balanced. Everything about it feels top notch.”
- “Received my bar and the quality is second to none. Excited to put it to work and will be ordering again in the future.”
- “This bar is great for our lifters with smaller hands that need a slightly smaller diameter bar.”
- “Got this bar for the wife to take to CrossFit. She loves it. I would recommend over a rogue bar. There are just to many bars to choose from at rogue. The wife says she likes the knurling and diameter of the bar. I’m going to be getting their power bar soon.”
- “Having this bar makes me have to sell my other pretty expensive bars. The 15 kg ss bar is great in raw steel, nice knurl and perfect for my wife and teaching youth. The sleeves are very impressive. This blows away the bella bar that I returned. Now I want the power bar version from them for me.”
- There are a couple of negative reviews discussing the lack of communication during COVID-19 and existing orders. There is no history of this happening prior to the pandemic.
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not reviewed this bar.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Buddy Capps Starting Strength 15kg Bar: