- Manufacturer: CAP
- Purpose: Trap Bar
- Bar Weight: 52 lbs
- Single/Dual Handles: Dual
- Knurled: Yes
- Handle Diameter: 25mm
- Shaft Finish: Bright Zinc (also available in chrome & black)
- Sleeve Finish: Bright Zinc (also available in chrome & black)
- Olympic-Sized Sleeves: Yes
- Rackable: No
- Sleeve Length: 9″
- Made In: Import
- Warranty: N/A
Read below to get a detailed look at the CAP OB-89HZ Trap Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
The CAP OB-89HZ is a very budget-friendly trap bar with a no-frills spec profile.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Dual Handle Height – The CAP OB-89HZ includes dual handles to allow for full and partial range-of-motion lifts. The high handle sits 4.72″ off the floor, which is lower than most dual-handled trap bars.
- Knurled Handles – The handles on the CAP Trap Bar are knurled in a medium pattern. The 25mm diameter is thinner than most traditional bars and it’s among the thinnest of trap bars. Some users will find this useful and comfortable while others may find it too thin.
- Not Rackable – This bar is intended to be used from the floor.
- Handle Width – The distance between handles measures 24.5″, which is a great feature of this bar. This width provides a comfortable distance for smaller and bigger lifters alike.
- Sleeve Length – The loadable sleeve length on the CAP OB-89HZ is 9″, which is one of the shortest among all trap bars. This will limit the amount of weight you can load onto the bar.
- Bright Zinc Finish – Bright Zinc is a cost-efficient plating that does an OK job at fighting off rust. You won’t get the same feel as you would with a non-plated finish, but you get a good blend of feel and rust resistance without the larger price tag. A nice benefit of this bar also is that the sleeves are finished in bright zinc, which holds up better than the powder coat commonly seen on trap bars.
- Other Finish Options – In addition to the bright zinc, you can pay extra for the hard chrome or black versions.
- Olympic-Sized Sleeve – Another nice feature of this bar is that you can use standard collars thanks to its Olympic-sized sleeves.
From the Manufacturer
Take your workout routines to the next level with the CAP Barbell Olympic 2-Inch Combo Zinc Hex Bar. It is made for home gyms or to take with you to your local workout center. It can be used by the beginner or advanced lifter. It combines the raised handle of a high hex bar and the flush handle of a regular hex bar to create a multi-functional exercise system. This CAP Barbell Olympic 2-inch Combo Hex Bar fits 2-inch Olympic plates and is made with heavy-duty alloy steel with beautiful zinc plating. With its 750-pound weight capacity, it is built to withstand nearly any test of strength. This hex bar’s handles are 24.25 inches apart, and the length of the loading sleeve is 9.5 inches. The Olympic Combo hex bar weighs 52 lbs by itself. This tool is suited for squat and shoulder shrug exercises. The CAP Barbell Olympic 2-Inch Combo Zinc Hex Bar will work your quads to the max and is suitable for anyone serious about leg exercises.
What They’re Saying at Amazon
The CAP OB-89HZ Trap bar receives good-not-great feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.5/5, here are some of the things people have said at amazon.com.
- “Holy Heaviness! This thing is monstrous in every way; not attractive due to the slipshod finish but highly functional with deep, effective knurling on the thick handles. The welds are thick like how we did them in welding shop, for extra strength and insurance; no cracks, it’s all solid and beastly. For a hundred bucks this is definitely worth it. For some, the silver paint finish will be a deal breaker but I plan on painting mine black and getting busy.”
- “I have long legs & have rubbed my shins before with a regular bar. Also have a sciatica issue that hasn’t allowed me to do squats without hurting for days, which has turned me off of doing them. This bar has been a dream for me. With this bar I can do deadlifts, farmers carry, & shoulder shurgs. The only pain I had was from using my leg muscles again (sore). No back pain which is a blessing. Love my new toy!”
- “Completely meets expectations at a $120 price point. Some of the welds aren’t gorgeous but I’m not concerned at all about the strength of the bar. Fits my standard plates. 25mm grip is a little narrower than most other bars but as long as you know what you’re getting into, this purchase is worthwhile.”
- “Great quality and well packaged. Perfect for any home gym. No concerns about using with heavier weights.”
- “Extremely well built, great welds, top notch build. Heavy and built like a tank. Very happy new owner. Price was right on. Look no further, pull the pin on this one.”
- “This bar is actually better than 3 stars, it’s a great bar. However, if you are using bumper plates and want to go above 275lbs you may want to look at another bar. The max I can put on each side is two 45# plates and one 25# plate. Even with that my bar clamps are halfway off the bar. If you are using traditional iron plates then you may be okay. But I’d still look for a bar with more plate room.”
- “This product is not worth the money I spent; at this time, I consider this 100 dollar paper weight. I was excited about getting this bar at first. However, due to some imperfections, this bar is useless. This bar is meant to be used with Olympic style plates. Due to some quality control issues, I can not put any plates on one side of the bar. So one side the plates fit just fine, the other, the plates only go half way down the bar. It looks as if one side of the bar has a larger diameter. I have tried to use different brand plates, such as rouge bumpers and CAP’s traditions plates with no luck, same issues with both. I highly recommend spending the extra 30 to 50 dollars and get a higher end bar. Even if you only intend to use it periodically to switch up deadlift workouts.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the CAP OB-89HZ Trap Bar: