Kabuki Transformer Bar
- Manufacturer: Kabuki Strength
- Purpose: Multi-function Squat Bar
- Bar Weight: 25kg
- Handle Type: Long/Angled
- Knurled/Textured Handles: Yes
- Shaft Finish: Bright Zinc
- Sleeve Finish: Black Oxide
- Olympic-Sized Sleeves: Yes
- Made In: USA
- Warranty: Lifetime
Read below to get a detailed look at the Kabuki Transformer Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Kabuki Transformer Bar
The Kabuki Transformer Bar is the most feature-rich safety squat bar currently available. Now in its fourth iteration, the Transformer Bar allows users to adjust camber angle as well as sleeve drop to create various load scenarios.
This bar receives stellar feedback from users – it's a premium safety squat bar at a premium price.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Camber Angle Adjustment – A unique feature of this bar is the ability to adjust the camber on the fly with a simple pop-pin. There are a total of 6 adjustments including goblet squat, front squat, SSB, high bar back squat, low bar back squat, and good morning.
- Sleeve Drop Adjustment – Another unique feature of this bar is the ability to adjust the sleeve drop. This cannot be done on the fly as is the case with the camber adjustment, but it's a great feature that allows the user to manipulate difficulty. The lower the sleeve, the harder the lift. There are a total of 4 drop slots. This creates a total of 24 different combinations between the camber and drop.
- Knurled, Long Handles – The Kabuki Transformer includes long handles that are knurled at the ends for a grip advantage. Some people prefer long handles, and others do not. The idea behind longer handles is that it promotes a more vertical spine angle and improved lat activation. These handles are fully welded to the bar, and thus cannot be removed or replaced with an alternate handle system.
- Foam Core Yoke – The biggest downside to prior Transformer Bar iterations was the uncomfortable padding. In v4, Kabuki made a point to change this, and the feedback is that it's a significant improvement.
- Bright Zinc Finish – Bright Zinc is a cost-efficient plating that looks nice and does an OK job at fighting off rust.
- Black Oxide Sleeve – The sleeves on the Transformer bar are finished in black oxide, which will show imperfections over time from plates sliding on and off.
- Standard-Sized Sleeve – A nice feature of this bar is that the sleeves are Olympic-sized, which isn't always the case on specialty bars. This means you can use standard collars.
- American Made – This bar is made in Portland, Oregon out of USA-sourced steel.
From the Manufacturer
The original Transformer Bar took the strength world by storm 3 years ago as a completely novel design, allowing for multiple positional variations in the squat using a single, adjustable barbell. It quickly became the industry's premium squat specialty bar and today finds itself in thousands of home gyms, commercial facilities, clinics, and professional/collegiate weight rooms.
The newly re-engineered Transformer Bar is a patent-pending, purpose-built, multi-function specialty barbell which allows for adjustment in the weight's center of mass relative to the lifter's body; changing loading mechanics, movement dynamics, and training effect. It is purpose-built for easy use in both professional (athletic, clinical), commercial, and home gym settings.
With this iteration, our engineering staff went back to the drawing board to address common issues with the original design and make substantial improvements in both usability and manufacturability, allowing us to reduce the price of this vastly improved product. This process of continuous improvement, or kaizen, is central to our product and engineering philosophy. Major improvements on the new Transformer Bar include:
- New Spring-Pin Adjustment Mechanism allows for quick angle changes without removing the weight bracket as in previous iterations of the bar
- Improved sleeve design allows for quicker adjustment from outside of the bar
- Zinc-plated center bar, handles, and weight brackets for high corrosion resistance
- Color-coded labels for quick positional adjustments by users without reference to any external materials
- Wider 54″ center bar for better fitment with all standard racks. For reference, a standard power bar is 52″ between sleeve collars
- Embossed, branded pad cover featuring “Transformer Bar” and our iconic squat face.
- Lower Price compared to previous iteration
What They're Saying at Kabuki Strength
The Kabuki Transformer Bar receives very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.7/5, here are some of the things people have said at kabukistrength.net:
- “I received my new Transformer Bar last week after a four-month wait. Top-notch quality, as one expects from Kabuki. The pop-pin design is very easy to use; switching the sleeve positions is a little more work but not a big deal. I don’t really like the Low Back Squat setting and will keep using my straight bar for that, but I have found all the other positions to be useful. In particular, I like the Front Squat position as I don’t have the wrist mobility to use a straight bar for front squats. Also, the Goblet position is great and allows for much heavier loading than conventional goblet squats—effectively this is an entirely new exercise. Those with sufficient shoulder mobility may prefer a straight bar for back squats, but from the SSB position forward this is an incredibly innovative and useful bar for just about anyone. I’d say it’s my second favorite Kabuki bar, after the Trap Bar HD.”
- “This bar cost a hefty chunk of change but the experience overall made this bar worth it. The bar arrived after 4 months which was understandable given the pandemic situation. My bar arrived a bit damaged with the sleeves having their finished removed and some rust on the transformation portion (most likely UPS fault). I told Kabuki and they acted immediately on this issue. Providing me a full replacement or partial credit. This level of customer service is amazing and should be the standard across fitness companies. Not even rogue is this helpful. The bar itself is a beauty and the transformation system is so easy to maneuver. I really love the branding on the pad.”
- “This bar has been a godsend for front squatting as I have limited mobility which makes front squats nearly impossible on a standard power bar. I use this at least once a week. Love it! I keep it inside the house so humidity/rust is not a problem. When I set up my yoke in the garage I think I will keep most of my bars inside the house to avoid rust problem.”
- “I bought this bar at a time when I was having shoulder issues. It allowed me to keep squatting while getting my shoulder healthy. Now it allows me to focus on a variety of squat variations and mix it up from Duffalo bar squats. Great craftmanship as you would expect from Kabuki. Great customer support as well.”
- “Only downside is it the stickers get a bit damaged over time.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Kabuki Strength Transformer Bar: