Rogue R-3W Fold Back Rack
- Manufacturer: Rogue Fitness
- Rack Type: Wall-Mount Rack
- Tube Size: 2×3 11-Gauge Steel
- Hole Size: 5/8″
- Hole Spacing: Westside (1″ ) through bench zone. 2″ above and below.
- Height: 90.375″
- Footprint: 24″ or 44″ Deep/55″ Wide (47″ Upright Width)
- Weight: 140lb or 160lb
- Numbered Uprights: No
- Color: Black
- Made In: USA
Read below to get a detailed look at the Rogue R-3W Fold Back Rack including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Rogue R-3W Fold Back Rack
The Rogue R-3W Fold Back Rack is the most economical wall-mount rack that Rogue produces. This is built with the same specs as the popular infinity/R-series line – 2×3 uprights, 5/8″ holes, and Westside spacing.
With “floating” crossmembers, this rack can handle sloped garage floors. And with UHMW plastic feet, your flooring won’t get damaged no matter where you mount this rack.
You can purchase the rack with a 20.5″ depth or with a 40.5″ depth. You also have the option to add a stringer for easier installation and extra support.
Read more below.
Features & Highlights
- Steel Size – The R-3W rack from Rogue is a part of their R-series (formerly known as the Infinity Series) family. It’s constructed with 2×3 11-gauge steel and it’s assembled with a bolt-together design. 2×3 steel is very sturdy and it’s capable of handling virtually anything you can throw at it.
- Wall-Mount Design – Wall-mount racks are popular for lifters who are working with tight space constraints. The most common place you’ll see this style of rack is in a garage because when it’s folded up, you can still park a car. This is a very efficient style of rack that takes up practically no room (less than 5″) when folded. This rack folds into itself and retracts very easily once the quick-attach pull-up bar is removed. By folding in, there are no additional height constraints as may exist on racks that fold up.
- Assembly & Installation – This rack can be mounted to a variety of surfaces, including wood studs and concrete. Most home gym owners will be mounting to studs. While you can mount using the provided brackets, it’s strongly recommended to purchase the Stringer along with your R-3W rack. This stringer provides more flexibility with stud spacing, it makes it easier to install, it provides additional support, and it looks very nice.
- Hole/Hardware Sizing – This rack uses 5/8″ hardware, which is one of the most common hardware sizes used on power racks. The rack will accommodate many of Rogue’s Infinity Attachments/Accessories as well as some from other companies (read more in the compatibility section below).
- Hole Spacing – The R-3W offers Westside hole spacing, which is a popular feature on 5/8″ racks. The holes are spaced 1″ apart through the bench zone, allowing for finer adjustments on your J-cups and safeties. This can be useful for people who are “in-between” sizes. Above and below the Westside section are holes with standard 2″ spacing between them. If you have more aggressive sloping in your floor, you can use the spacing to mount the uprights at different levels.
- Exterior Rack Dimensions – This rack can be purchased in two sizes: 20.5″ or 40.5″ depth. The total footprint of both is 24″ deep x 55″ wide or 44″ deep x 55″ wide, respectively. If you add the stringer, the total width increases to 59″. Those width measurements are on the wall only. In terms of the uprights themselves, the total width is 47″. One of the main benefits of a 2×3 rack is the 47″ width. This gives you more room to cleanly un-rack and re-rack your bar without concern of clipping the uprights with the plates on the bar. For instance, Rogue’s 3×3 racks have a 49″ outside upright width, which makes a bar sit 2″ tighter to the uprights. The total height of the system is 90.375″.
- Floating Crossmembers – The crossmembers are attached to the provided bracket via a vertical bolt and a vertical hitch pin in each. There is some extra room inside the bracket that allows the crossmembers to float freely. This means the rack can accommodate some floor slope without shims and without needing to mount one upright on different holes.
- Safety Options – The R-3W does not come with any safety options as standard. It is highly recommended that you purchase the safety spotter arms so that you can confidently lift on the rack. These spotter arms can also allow for rack pulls and other movements.
- No Color Options – This rack is only available in Rogue’s standard matte black powder coat.
- Made in America – The R-3W is made in Ohio.
What’s Included in the Box
The Rogue R-3W Fold Back Rack includes several pieces as standard:
- (2) Infinity J-Cups
- (4) Mounting Brackets
- (4) 0.625″ x 5″ Hitch Pins
- (2) 0.625″ x 4″ Hitch Pins
- (1) Quick-attach Pull-Up Bar
- (2) UHMW Plastic Caps for Floor Protection
- (4) 20.5″ or 40.5″ Crossmembers
- (2) 90″ Uprights
- (2) OPTIONAL Stringer (Highly Recommended)
The Stringer comes with all necessary mounting hardware. If you do not purchase the stringer, you will need to buy mounting hardware elsewhere since the standard brackets do not come with them.
The Rogue R-3W Fold Back Rack is constructed with 2×3 steel and 5/8″ hardware, which is compatible with Rogue’s Infinity Attachments.
Here you can add additional accessories to your rack or you can upgrade the ones that come standard with the R-3. Some attachments that I think are worthy of consideration include the Rogue Matador, the Rogue Landmine, and the Safety Spotter Arms.
The Matador allows for a portable dip station, the landmines open up a ton of barbell movement versatility, and the safety spotters are necessary for safety outside of the rack.
As for attachment compatibility outside of Rogue Fitness, two notable places to look are Titan Fitness and Fringe Sport. Both companies offer attachments that will fit 2×3 and 5/8″ hardware. One thing to keep in mind is that imported racks use the metric system vs. the imperial system on USA-made racks. This means that hole spacing will be slightly shorter. If you find an attachment that has two pins (or a single pin with a second hitch pin) then it may not fit properly. Single-pin attachments tend to work fine.
What They’re Saying at Rogue Fitness
The Rogue R-3W Fold Back Rack receives excellent feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.9/5, here are some of the things people have said at roguefitness.com.
- “This wall mount rack has exceeded my expectations. It didn’t take too long for my Dad and I to install it. I got the 23 inch rack and it’s so compact that I can still park both of my SUV’s in the garage without folding it up. The rig is very sturdy, I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to create a garage gym.”
- “Very happy with this purchase. I would recommend assembling uprights, cross members, and brackets BEFORE mounting it to the wall – especially if your floor might be uneven. Then you know exactly where to put stringers and brackets (my lower brackets had to be half an inch lower than instructions – so I had to detach and reattach). Overall it’s great. Can’t fit as many attachments as the RML, but I have a very small space and didn’t feel the need for 3x3s. I’m also using a shorty bar so I wanted the room on either side of J cups. Fun fact: this CAN be mounted around a door, you don’t need the door mount specific one. I just used 2x8s as stringers instead of using rogues.”
- “The construction of the rack and all pieces of equipment from Rogue are top class. Ease of installation goes a long way in recommending this product. Folding it back into the wall is quick and easy and makes it so you’re not sacrificing any space.”
- “I’m over the moon ecstatic to have a squat rack at home; especially now that gyms are closed. This squat rack is a great budget-friendly option, without sacrificing quality, function, or features.”
- “Finally got this set up. I should have done this years ago. I can now quit one of my gym memberships and cover the cost in a year. Quality is top notch and all parts arrived undamaged. Fold back really keeps my garage tidy and still park my car!”
- “Everything I have bought from Rogue, the quality has been outstanding. I mostly installed it myself, and I am no means an expert. I had someone come in and cut the uprights -which was a very easy job – because my ceiling is too low. Still, I can do pull-ups as my ceiling is 84″ tall. One of the stringers had letters printed backwards. Once I contacted Rogue, they refunded the cost of the stringers. Great customer service and product, that rivals anything you’ll find at the gym.”
- “Only reason for the 4-star review was some accessories are “not recommended” for this rig, even though the product pages says fully compatible with Infinity accessories. I was ordering some spotter arms and was told Rogue does not recommend them for safety reasons since this rig is not bolted to the floor (added torque can pull the top of the rig out of the wall). I appreciate the warning from Rogue and I didn’t end up getting the spotter arms. Just keep in mind there may be a few limitations on accessories and safe uses since this rig is not bolted to the floor.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed the Rogue R-3W Fold Back Rack.
The below racks were picked as alternatives to the Rogue R-3W Fold Back Rack.