Rogue SML-1 Squat Stand
- Manufacturer: Rogue Fitness
- Rack Type: Squat Stand
- Tube Size: 3×3 11-Gauge Steel
- Hole Size: 5/8″
- Hole Spacing: Westside (1″ ) through bench zone. 2″ above and below.
- Height: 72″
- Footprint: 48″ Deep/49″ Wide
- Weight: 122lb
- Numbered Uprights: No
- Color: Black
- Made In: USA
Read below to get a detailed look at the Rogue SML-1 Squat Stand including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Rogue SML-1 Squat Stand
The Rogue SML-1 Squat Stand is one of Rogue’s most popular basic squat stands. This is a well-spec’d stand with several nice features, including 3×3 uprights, 5/8″ holes, and Westside spacing.
This is the shortest squat stand of the SML line, which means that it will not come with a pull-up bar. It’s capable of handling any other lifts, however, including squats, bench press, overhead press, etc…
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty squat stand and you don’t require a pull-up bar, this is one of the best options on the market.
Read more below.
Features & Highlights
- Steel Size – The SML-1 Squat Stand from Rogue is a part of their Monster Lite lineup. It’s constructed with 3×3 11-gauge steel and it’s assembled with a bolt-together design. 3×3 steel is popular for its strength, attachment compatibility, and its overall aesthetic.
- Flat Foot Design – One of the biggest benefits of a squat stand is that you don’t have to bolt it down because of the flat foot design. This U-shaped base keeps the rack secure to the floor. During heavy sets when re-racking your bar, you may find the rack will shift slightly. This is normal for a squat stand – the overall stability of the stand is very strong and safe. If you do want to mount this to the floor or a platform for stability, you can purchase the S-Base Mounting Feet separately.
- Hole/Hardware Sizing – This rack uses 5/8″ hardware, which is one of the most common hardware sizes used on power racks. The rack will accommodate most of Rogue’s Monster Lite Attachments/Accessories as well as some from other companies (read more in the compatibility section below).
- Hole Spacing – The SML-1 offers Westside hole spacing, which is a common feature on 5/8″ racks. The holes are spaced 1″ apart through the bench zone, allowing for finer adjustments on your J-cups and safeties. This can be useful for people who are “in-between” sizes. Above and below the Westside section are holes with standard 2″ spacing between them.
- Exterior Rack Dimensions – Another benefit of a squat stand is that it offers a smaller footprint than most other racks. This rack has a total width of 49″ and a total depth of 48″. A 49″ width is fairly common for 3×3 racks, but one of the downsides is you have less room between the uprights and the plates. This requires a more efficient walk-out/re-rack since there’s a greater risk of hitting the uprights with your plates. The total height of this squat stand is only 72″, which makes it a great option for anyone with short ceiling clearance.
- Safety Options – This stand does not come with any safety options as standard. It is highly recommended that you purchase the safety spotter arms so that you can confidently lift on the rack. These spotter arms can also allow for rack pulls and other movements.
- No Color Options – The Rogue SML-1 is only available in Rogue’s standard matte black powder coat.
- Made in America – The SML-1 is made in Ohio.
What’s Included in the Box
The Rogue SML-1 Squat Stand includes the following pieces as standard:
- (2) Monster Lite J-Cups with UHMW Lining
- (1) Flat Foot Base
- (2) 72″ Uprights with Side Holes
The Rogue SML-1 Squat Stand is constructed with 3×3 steel and 5/8″ hardware, which is compatible with Rogue’s Monster Lite Attachments.
Here you can add additional accessories to your rack or you can upgrade the ones that come standard with the SML-1.
The monolift eliminates the squat walk-out and makes bench setup much easier, the sandwich cups are a big improvement over the standard J-cups, and the spotter arms are essential for safety.
As for attachment compatibility outside of Rogue Fitness, notable places to look are REP Fitness and Titan Fitness. Each of these companies offers attachments that will fit 3×3 and 5/8″ hardware (REP PR-4000 and Titan X-3). One thing to keep in mind is that imported racks use the metric system vs. the imperial system on USA-made racks. This means that hole spacing will be slightly shorter. If you find an attachment that has two pins (or a single pin with a second hitch pin) then it may not fit properly. Single-pin attachments tend to work fine.
What They’re Saying at Rogue Fitness
The Rogue SML-1 Squat Stand receives excellent feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.9/5, here are some of the things people have said at roguefitness.com.
- “First off, I just want to express how professional these guys are. Every purchase I’ve made these last few months has been stress free. Packaging is bulletproof, communication is prompt, and the deliveries arrived as scheduled. The SML is everything you could want in a squat/bench rack. Like everything else I’ve purchased from Rogue, it’s overbuilt and I mean that in a good way. Nice little detailed touches like the machined lettering don’t go unnoticed either. It’s as beautiful as it is functional. Lots of compliments from friends and family. I also purchased the adjustable monolifts after watching a few YouTube videos on them and they are great. For the price on this setup, what can I say other than grab one for yourself.”
- “Two weeks into getting back to squatting, my low back spasmed, causing me to drop 315 in the rack. The rack didn’t move at all, took it like a champ, and there wasn’t any damage to the Rogue bar or rack. Knowing that I can trust the rack to keep me safe during a failed lift was a concern, but now I know that it’s capable of doing that.”
- “I bought this right before the lock down and I am so happy that I did. It is awesome. Sturdy and rock solid- it does the job perfectly. Great for squats, bench pressing -spotter arms addition is a must. 10/10 would buy again”
- “I love this thing already. It is sturdy, lightweight, has loads of potential attachments, and really makes you feel safe when squatting or benching. Rogue really overbuilt this thing, which is awesome! J-cups work great, powder coating looks great. Definitely get the safety spotters if you’re buying for a home gym. They’re strong and can easily function as a low rack for your barbell. I also got the base storage pins, which add extra support when they’re storing bumpers. Overall, a killer squat rack that easily rivals commercial counterparts running much higher in cost.”
- “This is a solid squat stand. I had a cheap squat stand before that didn’t have any spotter arms. The Spotter arms which are extra are a must, they are solid and i feel safe that if I fail a lift I will be confident that I will not get hurt. If you have a low ceiling such as I do this is the best option. This will be my last squat stand i purchase because this is built to last.”
- “Look, what can I say. The thing is indestructible basically and does everything I need it to. The j-cups are also very heavy duty. I would recommend this for someone with a low ceiling their room.”
- “The rack was simple to put together and it looks great but I just got my bumper plates today and did a couple of bench presses. I went to re-rack the bar and the squat stand rocked backwards with only of 135 lbs of weight. SHOCKED that it did that. I put some sand bags on the front legs and it no longer rocked. I made sure the rack was level before using it.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed the Rogue SML-1 Squat Stand.
The below racks were picked as alternatives to the Rogue SML-1 Squat Stand.