Rogue SML-2C Squat Stand
- Manufacturer: Rogue Fitness
- Rack Type: Squat Stand
- Tube Size: 3×3 11-Gauge Steel
- Hole Size: 5/8″
- Hole Spacing: Westside (1″ ) through bench zone. 2″ above and below.
- Height: 92″
- Footprint: 48″ Deep/49″ Wide
- Weight: 162lb
- Numbered Uprights: Optional
- Color: Various
- Made In: USA
Read below to get a detailed look at the Rogue SML-2C Squat Stand including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Rogue SML-2C Squat Stand
The Rogue SML-2C Squat Stand is Rogue’s most popular squat stand. This rack is built with 3×3 11-gauge steel, making it very stable. It also includes 5/8″ holes and Westside hole spacing.
The benefit of this version of the SML squat stand is that it’s offered in multiple colors and it provides an option for laser-cut numbered uprights.
You additionally have the option to purchase a wheel bracket set for easy portability.
Read more below.
Features & Highlights
- Steel Size – The SML-2C Squat Stand from Rogue is a part of their Monster Lite lineup. It’s constructed with 3×3 11-gauge steel and it’s assembled with a bolt-together design. 3×3 steel is popular for its strength, attachment compatibility, and its overall aesthetic.
- Flat Foot Design – One of the biggest benefits of a squat stand is that you don’t have to bolt it down because of the flat foot design. This U-shaped base keeps the rack secure to the floor. During heavy sets when re-racking your bar, you may find the rack will shift slightly. This is normal for a squat stand – the overall stability of the stand is very strong and safe. If you do want to mount this to the floor or a platform for stability, you can purchase the S-Base Mounting Feet separately.
- Hole/Hardware Sizing – This rack uses 5/8″ hardware, which is one of the most common hardware sizes used on power racks. The rack will accommodate most of Rogue’s Monster Lite Attachments/Accessories as well as some from other companies (read more in the compatibility section below).
- Hole Spacing – The SML-2C offers Westside hole spacing, which is a common feature on 5/8″ racks. The holes are spaced 1″ apart through the bench zone, allowing for finer adjustments on your J-cups and safeties. This can be useful for people who are “in-between” sizes. Above and below the Westside section are holes with standard 2″ spacing between them.
- Exterior Rack Dimensions – Another benefit of a squat stand is that it offers a smaller footprint than most other racks. This rack has a total width of 49″ and a total depth of 48″. A 49″ width is fairly common for 3×3 racks, but one of the downsides is you have less room between the uprights and the plates. This requires a more efficient walk-out/re-rack since there’s a greater risk of hitting the uprights with your plates. The total height of this squat stand is 92″.
- Pull-Up Bar – The SML-2C can be purchased with a single 1.25″ pull-up bar or with a fat/skinny bar directly on the product page. From there, you can upgrade to the socket pull-up bar, which includes different colors, finishes, and options for knurling.
- Safety Options – This stand does not come with any safety options as standard. It is highly recommended that you purchase the safety spotter arms so that you can confidently lift on the rack. These spotter arms can also allow for rack pulls and other movements.
- Optional Hole Numbers – For an upcharge of $50, you can elect to have laser-cut numbers added to your uprights. Through the Westside zone, you will have even-numbered cutouts, and above, you will have all holes numbered. Numbers aren’t a necessary feature for some users, but they are convenient, especially in the Westside zone. I personally recommend numbers.
- Multiple Color Options – A great benefit of the SML-2C is that it comes in a variety of colors. There are currently 11 color choices to choose from including Rogue Red, Bright Blue, Bright Green, etc… The rack also comes with black zinc hardware, which looks great.
- Made in America – The SML-2C is made in Ohio.
What’s Included in the Box
The Rogue SML-2C Squat Stand includes several pieces as standard:
- (2) Monster Lite J-Cups with UHMW Lining
- (1) 43″ Single 1.25″ Pull-Up Bar OR (1) 43″ Fat/Single Skinny Pull-Up Bar
- (1) Flat Foot Base
- (2) 90″ Uprights with Side Holes
The Rogue SML-2C Squat Stand is constructed with 3×3 steel and 5/8″ hardware, which is compatible with Rogue’s Monster Lite Attachments.
Here you can add additional accessories to your rack or you can upgrade the ones that come standard with the SML-2C.
Some attachments that I think are worthy of consideration include the Adjustable Monolift, the Sandwich J-Cups, the Socket Pull-Up Bar, and the Spotter Arms.
The monolift eliminates the squat walk-out and makes bench setup MUCH easier, the sandwich cups are a big improvement over the standard J-cups, the socket pull-up bar is an enhancement, and the spotter arms are essential for safety.
As for attachment compatibility outside of Rogue Fitness, notable places to look are REP Fitness and Titan Fitness. Each of these companies offers attachments that will fit 3×3 and 5/8″ hardware (REP PR-4000 and Titan X-3). One thing to keep in mind is that imported racks use the metric system vs. the imperial system on USA-made racks. This means that hole spacing will be slightly shorter. If you find an attachment that has two pins (or a single pin with a second hitch pin) then it may not fit properly. Single-pin attachments tend to work fine.
What They’re Saying at Rogue Fitness
The Rogue SML-2C Squat Stand receives great feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.9/5, here are some of the things people have said at roguefitness.com.
- “Got this around a month ago and loving it. Don’t need to baby it like my old rack. This thing is built to last and love the plastic on the j-cups to protect the bar. the 1-inch adjustability for rack height is amazing for switching between squat and bench. Also nice for lifting with others so you can set it exactly where is best for you.”
- “What more can I say that others haven’t said? It’s built like a tank. Absolutely gorgeous. I waited a year and finally told myself just get it and all the accessories and couldn’t be happier.”
- “This is a great product and does everything a rack can do and more. I bought it with the two bars for pull-ups. The rack is functionally like a world class stand and is build to last forever. It is sturdy and does not shake or wobble. It can accept band pegs in its base but needs to be weighted down due to its light weight. It’s easy to assemble and can be relocated without stressing you out if you want to redesign your floor layout.”
- “Have had my rack for a month or so now and this thing is a tank. It has added so much to my workout routine. One thing that’s really awesome is all the accessories you can get for it and having my plates stored on it with the storage pins has made it super sturdy for pull-ups and all kinds of workouts. Thanks Rogue!!”
- “I decided on this rack over the fold out option as my garage floor slopes too much for a good fit – I did not want to always use shims when extended. The rack is awesome. It feels solid compared to cheaper squat racks. When using the Matador, I either put a couple of plates on one side of the base, and do dips on the other side, or I set up the Matador inside the rack and don’t need the plates to secure the rack. No extra weight needed for pull ups or toes-to-bars. Rogue got most of the parts to me in Alaska in just a week, with the rest showing up 4 days later. I did not expect delivery that quickly. Well done, Rogue!”
- “I love this stand. I didn’t want to fully splurge on my initial set up and this turned out to be a strong and sturdy option. Extremely versatile in terms of ML implements you can add to it (Matador Tricep Dip Bars, Plate Storage, Spotter arms), and if down the line you want a rack, you can buy the additional hardware to do that. Couldn’t ask for more at this stage. Highly recommended.”
- “My only issue is that the green paint scratches very easy and showed up with one chip already there, but honestly it is going to get beaten up bad with regular use and is understandable. The green looks amazing and will only look better beat up :)”
Garage Gym Lab Review
The Rogue SML-2C was a winner in the 2023 Best Folding Squat Rack Awards by Garage Gym Lab.
The below racks were picked as alternatives to the Rogue SML-2C Squat Stand.