Vulcan Prime Urethane Bumper Plates
- Manufacturer: Vulcan Strength
- Plate Type: Urethane Bumper Plate
- Insert Type: Chrome Steel Disc
- Weight System: LB/Pounds
- Weight Increments: 10LB-55LB
- Durometer Rating/Bounce: 90/Low Bounce
- Weight Tolerance: +/- 1%
- Diameter: 450mm
- Hole Size: 50.4mm
- Color: Color
- Made in: Import
- Warranty: N/A
Read below to get a detailed look at the Vulcan Prime Urethane Bumper Plates including product details, features, a full GGL Review, real user feedback, and more.
Vulcan Prime Urethane Plates
Vulcan Prime Urethane Plates are some of the best looking urethane plates on the market. I’ve owned, used, and reviewed these plates. They’re high quality, durable, very accurate, and they get great feedback from users.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Urethane – Urethane is a premium material that offers several benefits compared to rubber. It’s more durable, it’s odorless, and it produces more vibrant colors. It’s also less expensive in the case of the Vulcan plates as compared to their Competition Plates.
- Minimal Bounce – These plates have a high durometer rating of 90, which is consistent with urethane plates and just below some of the high-end competition rubber plates. This will produce a very dead bounce, which means you won’t be chasing your bar around the gym.
- Chrome-Plated Steel Disc – The Vulcan Prime Urethane Plates have a 140mm hard chrome center hub. This is larger than a traditional center ring, but smaller than a full hub on competition-style plates. Additionally, the hubs are one-piece construction, which differs from the bolt design on larger hubs.
- Raised Flanges– The outer edges of the plates are raised to help when picking the plates up from a flat position or otherwise carrying them. There is also a raised flange around the center disc to prevent metal-on-metal contact and to extend the life of the plates.
- Weight Offerings – Vulcan Prime Urethane Plates can be purchased from 10LB up to 55LB and they’re sold in pairs. They’re also available in sets ranging from 160LB up to 340LB. Sets ship for free to most states within the US.
- Plate Width – One great benefit of urethane plates is that they offer a very thin plate profile, which allows for more weight to be loaded onto the bar. Their width is consistent, sometimes even thinner, than competition plates. Plate widths are as follows:
- 10LB – 0.71″
- 25LB – 1.49″
- 35LB – 1.69″
- 45LB – 1.89″
- 55LB – 2.09″
- Durability – Urethane is a highly durable material. These plates are built to withstand thousands of drops. Whether you’re in a commercial setting or a home gym setting, these plates will stand the test of time.
- Texture – The plates have a pebble grain texture to them that helps your grip, but they aren’t quite as grippy as rubber competition plates. Urethane tends to be a little slicker.
- Weight Tolerance – Vulcan Prime Urethane Plates have a very accurate weight tolerance of +/- 1%.
- Aesthetics – Urethane produces extremely vibrant colors. I love the design of the Vulcan version with the minimalist look and the inset lettering, which differs from raised lettering seen on competitor plates. The only drawback to these plates, in my opinion, is the 35LB plate color, which is like a highlighter color as opposed to a deep yellow. Otherwise, these are some of the most beautiful plates I’ve ever seen and used.
What They’re Saying at vulcanstrength.com
Vulcan Prime Urethane Plates receive very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.9/5, here are some of the things people have said at vulcanstrength.com.
- “Plates are absolutely awesome. Beautiful, precise weights, and virtually indestructible. I love the color and couldn’t have asked for better plates.”
- “Awesome, beautiful looking urethane plates…my Vulcan 55s are thinner than my Intek rubber competition 45 bumpers! I wanted to order the whole set but 55s were the only ones available.”
- “I bought the Urethane out of Covid-19 necessity (In other words, they were literally the only quality plates I could find and I had to hit refresh every 5 seconds when they came back in stock just to get them). They were a bit spendy vs some of Vulcans other plates, but man I am blown away by the feel, and quality. They pop out at you, colors look amazing, and they look and feel extremely durable. Couldn’t be happier with them and as a veteran, I am happy to support a veteran business. Last but certainly not least, they are slightly cheaper than Urethane options from Rogue, and significantly cheaper than American Barbell Urethane. Shipping was quick, and no damage upon arrival. 5 out of 5 stars. I will be purchasing from Vulcan again.”
- “Vulcan Urethane 35 lb Bumper Plates are eye catching in neon yellow, well crafted, and very sturdy.”
- “Ordered a pair of Urethane 45s on clearance for cosmetic reasons and have been immensely pleased with the bumper plates; bumpers very slightly different shades of blue, but I had to look hard to find the cosmetic ‘issue’. I had read that the tolerances are very tight and might scratch the sleeve, but I have had no issue and wish I had bought a pair of 25s at the same time. I also own a Vulcan absolute power bar and it is my go-to bar for squats and deadlifts. Considerably less well known than rogue but I believe their gear is of similar quality and at a better price point. “
- “Very sturdy as well as precision crafted. And they look great!”
- None Noted
Garage Gym Lab Review
The below plates were picked as alternatives to the Vulcan Prime Urethane Plates.