American Barbell KG Urethane Pro Series Plates
- Manufacturer: American Barbell
- Plate Type: Urethane Bumper Plate
- Insert Type: Chrome Steel Disc
- Weight System: KG/Kilograms
- Weight Increments: 10KG-25KG
- Durometer Rating/Bounce: NA/Low Bounce
- Weight Tolerance: N/A
- Diameter: 450mm
- Hole Size: 50.4mm
- Color: Color
- Made in: Import
- Warranty: 3 Years
Read below to get a detailed look at the American Barbell KG Urethane Pro Series Plates including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
American Barbell KG Urethane Pro Series Plates
American Barbell KG Urethane Pro Series Plates are some of the first urethane bumper plates ever made. I've owned the LB version for years, and they're some of the nicest plates I've ever used. They're durable, accurate, beautiful, and they receive excellent feedback from users.
This is the KG variant – American Barbell also makes a LB Urethane Pro Series Plate, which I own.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Urethane – Urethane is a premium material that offers several benefits compared to rubber. It's more durable, it's odorless, and it produces more vibrant colors. American Barbell specifically uses a German urethane, which differs from other companies.
- Minimal Bounce – American Barbell doesn't state a durometer rating on these plates, but they have a very low bounce. Other competitive urethane plates have a rating of 90 – I believe these from AB would be similar, if not the same in durometer. Rest assured, you won't be chasing your bar around the gym.
- Chrome-Plated Steel Disc – The KG Urethane Pro Series Plates from American Barbell have a 140mm hard chrome center hub. This is a one-piece construction hub unlike the full hubs you'll find on a rubber competition or training plate with bolts.
- Raised Flanges– The outer edges of the plates are raised to help when picking the plates up from a flat position or otherwise carrying them. There is also a raised flange around the center disc to prevent metal-on-metal contact and to extend the life of the plates.
- Weight Offerings – American Barbell KG Urethane Plates can be purchased from 10KG up to 25KG and they're sold in pairs. Sets are currently not an option.
- Plate Width – One of the biggest benefits of a urethane plate is thickness. Most urethane plates are in-line, sometimes even thinner, than competition plates. This means you can load more weight on the bar relative to thicker plates. Plate widths are as follows:
- 10KG – 1.57″
- 15KG – 1.81″
- 20KG – 2.08″
- 25KG – 2.28″
- Durability – Urethane is a highly durable material. These plates are built to withstand thousands of drops, and they have a strong reputation in this department. As someone who has owned and used these plates (LB version) extensively, I can attest to their durability.
- Texture – The plates have a pebble grain texture to them that helps your grip, but they aren't quite as grippy as rubber competition plates. Urethane tends to be a little slicker.
- Weight Tolerance – American Barbell doesn't guarantee a weight tolerance on these plates, but they are very accurate. All of my plates are within +/- 1%, which is standard for urethane bumpers.
- Aesthetics – Simply put, these plates look amazing. The colors are vibrant, and I love the raised lettering in gray. The pebble grain texture provides a nice look as well.
What They're Saying at americanbarbell.com
American Barbell KG Urethane Pro Series Plates receive very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.9/5, here are some of the things people have said at americanbarbell.com.
- “I chose these plates because they are thin, so save space on the bar, and looked great online. Upon arrival, they also appeared impressively colorful. Unlike rubber-coated plates, these urethane plates are firm to the touch. While I was unpacking these, my box cutter caught one of the yellow plates—the box cutter recoiled off the plate and the plate itself remained unscratched. These plates are tough! These plates are exactly what I would want for olympic lifting. They fit the bar snugly and land without too much noise. Because the collars fit onto the bar precisely, there is not metal clanking if a bar is dropped. Additionally, there is little slack in the bar for deadlifts and olympic lifts. I have paired these with an American Barbell Olympic bar.”
- “Absolutely LOVE these bumpers. If you are planning on upgrading or on the fence, you can't go wrong buying these bumpers. The one piece hub and snug fit on the barbell collar gives it less slack on your initial pull of the ground.The thinner diameter on plates allows you to add more weight. The scuff/fade resistance is a super +plus. I bought these specifically for weightlifting and truly enjoy the perks these plates offer. Fast shipping & packed like a champ. My only gripe is no free shipping.”
- “These are great, durable plates. The absence of bolts is nice, too. You don't have to obsess over which way they should be loaded.”
- “These bumpers are very, very good. Fantastic quality and appearance. I chose these over Eleiko, Werksan etc and I couldn’t be happier with them.”
- “These plates are one of the stand-out differences that makes training in my garage nicer than any of the high-end gyms in my area – both in my own estimation, and according to several folks who come over to my place to train. They're super durable and classy, very accurate and compact, and are a real joy to use. The vivid colors make them look as good as they are. They've stood up just fine to a year of dropping on horse stall mats, though the drop is a touch noisier than some other (broader, more rubbery) bumpers I've used.”
- “The Urethane Pro Series bumper plates are the best plates available if you are looking for a durable plate that holds up well to a lot of wear and tear. Outstanding quality and durability.”
- None noted
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has reviewed these LB version of these plates. You can read the full review here.
The below plates were picked as alternatives to the American Barbell KG Urethane Pro Series Plates.