Cap Mega Hex Bar
- Manufacturer: CAP
- Purpose: Trap Bar
- Bar Weight: 75 lbs
- Single/Dual Handles: Dual
- Knurled: Yes
- Handle Diameter: 32mm
- Shaft Finish: Chrome
- Sleeve Finish: Chrome
- Olympic-Sized Sleeves: Yes
- Rackable: No
- Sleeve Length: 13″
- Made In: Import
- Warranty: N/A
Read below to get a detailed look at the CAP Mega Hex Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
CAP Mega Hex Bar
The CAP Mega Hex Bar is a much beefier version of the CAP OB-89HZ Trap Bar. The Mega Hex Bar is still a budget-friendly bar with a no-frills spec profile, but it does offer some nicer features.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Dual Handle Height – The CAP Mega Hex includes dual handles to allow for full and partial range-of-motion lifts. The high handle sits 5.5″ off the floor, which is nearly an inch higher than the OB-89HZ, and more in-line with other trap bars.
- Knurled Handles – The handles on the CAP Hex Bar are knurled in a medium pattern. This bar offers a 32mm diameter, which is a common size for a trap bar and which is much thicker than the 25mm on the OB-89HZ.
- Not Rackable – This bar is intended to be used from the floor.
- Handle Width – The distance between handles measures 26″. Smaller-frame lifters may prefer a smaller gap of ~24″, but 26″ is still a comfortable distance for most people.
- Sleeve Length – the CAP Mega Hex Bar offers a 13″ loadable sleeve length, which is respectable, especially in comparison to the 9″ on the OB-89HZ.
- Chrome – Chrome is a cost-efficient plating that does a good-but-not-great job at fighting off oxidation. You won’t get the same feel as you would with a non-plated finish, but you get a nice blend of feel and rust resistance without the larger price tag. Some users have reported the chrome used on this bar is not of the highest quality, so that's something to consider.
- Olympic-Sized Sleeve – You can use standard collars thanks to its Olympic-sized sleeves.
From the Manufacturer
Designed for the biggest and strongest lifters, CAP Barbell's Olympic Mega Hex Bar has a maximum load capacity of 1,000 pounds. This hex bar combines the handle placement of the high hex bar and the regular hex bar. Simply flip this trap bar over to use either the high hex or regular hex handles. Build muscle and strength in your legs, traps, back and core with this Olympic mega trap bar. Crafted from heavy-duty alloy steel and sealed with a durable zinc plated finish, this bar will withstand the most grueling workouts. This bar is a dependable piece of fitness equipment to add to your daily strength training regimen. Featuring 26 inches between the grip handles and 12 inches of loadable sleeves, this bar offers lots of room to perform deadlifts, shrugs, farmer's walks, and more. Regardless of intensity, this hex bar will prove to be a sturdy, dependable piece of strength equipment in a home or commercial gym setting. Use with Olympic weights.
What They're Saying at Amazon
The CAP Mega Hex bar receives good-not-great feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.5/5, here are some of the things people have said at amazon.com.
- “This product is excellent. It is solid, I mean SOLID! Bar is 75lbs empty and is a beast. I have loaded it up to what I am capable of lifting and it is holding up like a champ. I suspect this bar will see me to 500 and beyond with no issues. Has high and low handles with aggressive knurling. Hands took a beating the first few workouts but on the plus side it WILL NOT slip lol. Great product and was super fast shipping too. Very happy.”
- “This is one completely bad@ss barbell. It is thicker (1.25″ diameter) compared to the CAP Combo Hex Bar. The welds are sloppy but they are also very thick and sturdy looking in appearance. The bar itself feels extremely solid and and is very heavy to lift. In regard to standing/squatting room inside the hex…I'm 6'2″ and weigh 220″ and have more than enough room The high handles are at a great height (mid shin) and width of handles is good. My standard spring collars fit nice and tight on the bar ends, which measure 13″ from collar to end. You can easily fit 7-8 standard 45lb steel weight plates on each side, depending on the thickness of your weight plates, which typically range from just under 1.5″ to about 1.75″ in thickness, depending on the brand. In summary, I would totally recommend this bar, considering it's relatively low price compared to competitors. It's a real beast. It's great for a garage gym, where function supersedes the quality of the paint job (or lack thereof). If you own a commercial gym or want clean and pretty looking weights for use inside your home, then you'd be better of spending more on a chrome hex bar.”
- “Looking at the reviews I was really afraid to order this bar and kept my fingers crossed that I'd be a lucky one. And from the looks of it I am. The welds look fine and the handles and other angles are aligned properly. As some have said, the packaging is a joke and I don't know why they even bother with it. Saran wrap and pieces of cardboard. The bar itself weighed in at 73.2lbs on my bathroom scale. The sleeves are a full 13 inches which is the main reason I chose this particular model. I only found one other and it was out of my price range. I can fit 3 45lb bumpers with collars on each side. I could fit 4 w/o a collar but I wouldn't trust the plate to stay on while lifting it. The knurling on the handles could be a bit more aggressive especially on a piece of equipment you're pulling heavy with. A small part of the knurling on the top of my handles is flattened out, apparently from the bar being dropped on the handles but since it's on the top it doesn't effect the grip.”
- “I was able to load it up to 520lbs. There was plenty of space left on the load bars. I could have fit 9 plates on each side, along with my clamps. There is 6 inches of space between the first plate and the handles, leaving plenty of room for chains, for additional weight. The distance between the handles and the space to stand in it, was plentiful. I am 6′ tall at 220lbs. The 1 1/4 inch handles are wonderful. Even after sliding all the plates on and off again, none of the zinc coating was scratched at all. I performed 20 sets, most of which were over 400lbs. No issues at all.”
- “After using this awhile and having the coating flake off all over the place and continue to make a mess of my floor, hands, and plates, I've changed the rating from 5 star to 3. Other inexpensive equipment I have which has such coating doesn't do this, so I think the quality is poor and will require me to strip it and paint it. I would have chosen something else.”
- “My only real complaint would be the finish. It's obvious that the bar has been dipped in some type of plating solution but it's nowhere near a chrome finish. It's dull and almost looks like it's been painted. Hopefully, there won't be an issue with rusting. All in all I've very pleased with the purchase. It'll do the job I got it for and it didn't break the bank.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the CAP Mega Hex Bar: