Rep Black Bumper Plates
- Manufacturer: REP Fitness
- Plate Type: Rubber Bumper Plate
- Insert Type: Center Ring
- Weight System: LB/Pounds
- Weight Increments: 10LB-45LB
- Durometer Rating/Bounce: NA/Medium Bounce
- Weight Tolerance: +/- 3%
- Diameter: 450mm
- Hole Size: 50.4mm
- Color: Black w/ White lettering
- Made in: Import
- Warranty: 6 Months on 10-15lbs & 3 Years on 25lb+
Read below to get a detailed look at the REP Black Bumper Plates including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
REP Black Bumper Plates
REP Black Bumper Plates are budget-friendly economy bumpers with a respectable width profile and very positive feedback from users.
REP also sells a color version of these plates, which you can read about here.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Low Bounce – REP doesn't state a specific durometer rating on these plates. Generally speaking, the higher the rating, the harder the material, and the lower the bounce. The black bumper plates have a medium-to-low amount of bounce, which likely puts these plates in the mid-to-upper 80 range in terms of a durometer rating. For perspective, bouncy Hi-Temps are ~75, and dead-bounce competition plates are 90+. These won't give you a dead bounce, but you won't be chasing them around your gym either.
- Center Ring – These plates use a steel center ring insert that measures 50.4mm in diameter. This is consistent with similar plates and it accommodates Olympic-sized barbells very nicely.
- Raised Flanges– The outer edges of the plates are raised to help when picking the plates up from a flat position or otherwise carrying them.
- Weight Offerings – Rep Black Bumpers can be purchased from 10LB up to 45LB and they're sold in pairs. They're also available in sets ranging from 160LB up to 370LBS.
- Plate Width – These bumpers offer a respectable width. They aren't as narrow as higher-end plates, but they also aren't as wide as Hi-Temps or some other traditional bumpers. Plate widths are as follows:
- 10LB – 1″
- 15LB – 1.25″
- 25LB – 1.75″
- 35LB – 2.4″
- 45LB – 2.83″
- Durability – These plates have a strong reputation as far as durability is concerned. Over time, issues that may arise will likely stem from the center insert loosening or the rubber chipping. These bumpers include hooks that are actually molded into the plate to improve durability. It's not recommended to drop the 10LB or 15LB plates by themselves, as these are the most prone to warping/damage.
- Weight Tolerance – The Black Bumpers from REP have a weight tolerance of +/- 3%, which isn't as tight as some other plates that offer 1% or below. It's more than likely that plates will fall well within this tolerance, but it's something to consider if precision is important to you.
- Aesthetics – These plates are classic-looking basic bumpers. They have a black-on-black look with contrasting white raised lettering and a semi-gloss finish.
- Warranty – REP offers a 6-month warranty on 10LB-15LB plates and a 3-year warranty on 25LB+ plates, which is a solid warranty, especially on the 10-15LB plates.
What They're Saying at Repfitness.com
Rep Black Bumper Plates receive very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 5/5, here are some of the things people have said at repfitness.com.
- “Really nice plates for the price! Comparable to the more expensive plates that my gym uses. Clean construction and look great. Slight rubbery smell initially but nothing major. I will definitely be ordering more from Rep in the future!”
- “Great value, the rubber has a clean look complimented by the contrasting white lettering. The weights do exactly what I expected them to do. Easy to handle and no rubber transfer to clothing. Great product, very satisfied with our choice!”
- “Very happy with my purchase. Not much you can say about bumper plates, but they look great and fit great on the stainless Gladiator bar I also purchased. No wobble and all very consistent on size and fit. I am not sure you can find a higher quality bumper plate, and at the price it is a no-brainer purchase.”
- “I was able to get one of the plate sets and I absolutely love them! Definitely worth the wait. HIGHLY recommend”
- “Great bumpers i think these come in at one of the lowest cost around but they are still high quality. The customer service is unreal. Will buy again from them.”
- “Had them for over three years now and still absolutely love them. I’ve put them through the ringer too. Snatches, clean and jerks, dropping from full height over and over onto concrete (I don’t recommend regardless of who made them), heavy deadlifts, etc. Barely show signs of wear. Highly recommend.”
- “The only negative is the the odor.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
The REP Black Bumper Plates were a winner in the Garage Gym Lab Best Bumper Plate Awards.
The below plates were picked as alternatives to the REP Black Bumper Plates.