Rogue SM-2 Monster Squat Stand 2.0
- Manufacturer: Rogue Fitness
- Rack Type: Squat Stand
- Tube Size: 3×3 11-Gauge Steel
- Hole Size: 1″
- Hole Spacing: 2″
- Height: 93″
- Footprint: 54″ Deep/50″ Wide (49″ Upright Width)
- Weight: N/A
- Numbered Uprights: Yes
- Color: Black
- Made In: USA
Read below to get a detailed look at the Rogue SM-2 Squat Stand including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Rogue SM-2 Squat Stand
The Rogue SM-2 Squat Stand is one of Rogue’s best and beefiest squat stands. This rack is built with 3×3 11-gauge steel and it includes 1″ holes with 2″ spacing.
The uprights on the SM-2 include a keyhole design along the sides for greater attachment options. The rack can be purchased with various pull-up options and it accepts Rogue’s best attachments & accessories in the Monster line.
Read more below.
Features & Highlights
- Steel Size – The SM-2 Squat Stand from Rogue is a part of their Monster lineup. It’s constructed with 3×3 11-gauge steel and it’s assembled with a bolt-together design. 3×3 steel is popular for its strength, attachment compatibility, and its overall aesthetic.
- Flat Foot Design – One of the biggest benefits of a squat stand is that you don’t have to bolt it down because of the flat foot design. This U-shaped base keeps the rack secure to the floor. During heavy sets when re-racking your bar, you may find the rack will shift slightly. This is normal for a squat stand – the overall stability of the stand is very strong and safe.
- Rubber End Caps – The base of the SM-2 includes thick rubber end caps, which help to provide traction to the ground. During heavy sets when re-racking your bar on other squat stands, you may find the rack will shift slightly. While this is normal, and the stability/structure is still very safe, having these rubber end caps is a great feature to limit that movement.
- Hole/Hardware Sizing – This rack uses 1″ hardware, which is also increasing in popularity. 1″ hardware racks tend to get the best, most refined attachments. The rack will accommodate most of Rogue’s Monster Attachments/Accessories as well as some from other companies (read more in the compatibility section below).
- Hole Spacing – The SM-2 offers 2″ spacing throughout the uprights, which differs from the Monster Lite line, which includes Westside spacing through the bench zone. Also unlike on the Monster Lite line, the SM-2 includes just as many side holes as front/back holes. These side holes have a keyhole shape, which allows for greater versatility and attachment options.
- Exterior Rack Dimensions – This rack has a total width of 54″ and a total depth of 50″, which makes it larger than the S-Series and SML-Series. In terms of the actual uprights, they have an outside width of 49″, which is fairly common for 3×3 racks. One of the downsides, however, is you have less room between the uprights and the plates. This requires a more efficient walk-out/re-rack since there’s a greater risk of hitting the uprights with your plates. The total height of this squat stand is 93″.
- Laser Cut Hole Numbers – The Monster line includes laser cut numbers on every hole, which is a great feature for easy adjustments on J-cups, safeties, etc… It’s also much more aesthetic than non-numbered uprights, in my opinion.
- Pull-Up Bar – The SM-2 can be purchased with a single 1.25″ pull-up bar or with a fat/skinny bar directly on the product page. From there, you can upgrade to the socket pull-up bar, which includes different colors, finishes, and options for knurling.
- Safety Options – This stand does not come with any safety options as standard. It is highly recommended that you purchase the safety spotter arms so that you can confidently lift on the rack. These spotter arms can also allow for rack pulls and other movements.
- No Color Options – The Rogue SM-2 is only available in Rogue’s black powder coat.
- Made in America – The SM-2 is made in Ohio.
What’s Included in the Box
The Rogue SM-2 Squat Stand includes several pieces as standard:
- (2) Monster Cups with UHMW Lining
- (1) 43″ Single 1.25″ Pull-Up Bar OR (1) 43″ Fat/Single Skinny Pull-Up Bar
- (1) Flat Foot Base
- (2) 90″ Uprights with Side Holes (total height of 93″)
Optionally, you can purchase a barbell, a bench, and some plates directly on the product page to create a complete package.
The Rogue SM-2 Squat Stand is constructed with 3×3 steel and 1″ hardware, which is compatible with Rogue’s Monster Attachments.
Here you can add additional accessories to your rack or you can upgrade the ones that come standard with the SM-2. In general, the Monster accessories are the best that Rogue offers.
The monolift eliminates the squat walk-out and makes bench setup much easier, the sandwich cups are a big improvement over the standard J-cups, the socket pull-up bar is an enhancement, and the spotter arms are essential for safety.
As for attachment compatibility outside of Rogue Fitness, notable places to look are REP Fitness, Sorinex, Titan Fitness, Fray Fitness, Griffin Fitness, and Fringe Sport. Each of these companies offers attachments that will fit 3×3 and 1″ hardware (REP PR-5000, Various Sorinex, Titan Series, Fray Savage, Griffin GR3, Fringe 3×3). One thing to keep in mind is that imported racks use the metric system vs. the imperial system on USA-made racks (Rogue and Sorinex). This means that hole spacing will be slightly shorter. If you find an attachment that has two pins (or a single pin with a second hitch pin) then it may not fit properly. Single-pin attachments tend to work fine.
What They’re Saying at Rogue Fitness
The Rogue SM-2 Squat Stand receives very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 4.8/5, here are some of the things people have said at roguefitness.com.
- “I have been using this squat rack daily for just over 2 months now. It is very durable and compatible with a lot of accessories. If you want the best squat rack money can buy this is it. Yes its very expensive but worth it for the quality and because its made in America.”
- “At start I was looking for a cage, but this one is perfect for bench press, squats, pull ups etc. Heavy duty and quality materials. Don’t be scared of the price tag: cry ones and get the best”
- “When they say Monster they mean it. The bolts are freaking huge, but manageable. I love it and it fits perfectly into my garage gym. Thanks Rogue!”
- “I was a little worried that it would be wobbly when doing pull ups on this but it turns out to be very sturdy and doesn’t wobble or shake at all. It’s built like a tank and stays rigid. The black powder coating is nice to touch and makes the rack feel like a piece of furniture instead of some metal gym equipment. I like that the pull up bar is textured but not knurled. It’s not completely smooth but has enough texture and friction to make it easier to grip.”
- “I finally got tired of fighting the crowd at the gym and decided to invest in some nice equipment at home. The SM-2 feels rock solid. The build quality is top notch. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a high quality squat stand.”
- “As usual, great quality / overbuilt products from Rogue. Sold my RM-6 rack a few months ago because it was just too big for me. I can do everything I need with the SM-2 stand. I paid a little extra for custom finish (satin clear) and red cerakote bar (without knurl). Smooth cerakote bar has better grip than standard powder coated bar on my old RM6. Monster spotter arms are serious business. Looking forward to arrival of my new barbell and Rogue machined plates so I can get back to it. SM2 will also be good for rings.”
- “Only complaint (minor, but hey the details matter right?) is the rogue decals applied to the lower crossmember and upright are slightly crooked. A slight blemish on an otherwise stellar product that consistently performs above expectations.”
Garage Gym Lab Review
The Rogue SM-2 Squat Stand was a winner in the Garage Gym Lab 2022 Best Squat Rack Awards.
The below racks were picked as alternatives to the Rogue SM-2 Squat Stand.