Texas Squat Bar
- Manufacturer: Texas Power Bars/Buddy Capps
- Purpose: Squat
- Bar Weight: 25kg
- Tensile Strength: 186,000
- Yield Strength: N/A
- Knurl Type: Aggressive
- Center Knurl: Yes
- Knurl Marks: Powerlifting
- Shaft Finish: Bare Steel (also available in hard chrome, black zinc, & Cerakote)
- Shaft Diameter: 31.75mm
- Sleeve Finish: Bare Steel or Chrome
- Sleeve Type: Grooved
- Rotation System: Bushing
- Made In: USA
- Warranty: Lifetime
Read below to get a closer look at the Texas Squat Bar including product details, features, real user feedback, and more.
Texas Squat Bar
The Texas Squat Bar is an iconic squat bar that’s been used by some of the world’s most elite lifters for decades.
Read more for details.
Features & Highlights
- Bare Steel – This bar comes standard in bare steel. Bare Steel is the most cost-effective “finish” available because… well… it’s not finished in anything. Because of that, it ranks very highly in the ‘feel’ department. You’ll get a completely raw texture that provides outstanding grip. It also takes chalk very well. The downside to bare steel is that it’s very prone to oxidation. There is no preventing it, although 3-in-1 oil or similar is commonly used to mitigate it.
- Other Finish Options – This bar is also available for an upcharge in hard chrome, black zinc, and Cerakote. All of these finishes are better at oxidation resistance, but they don’t offer the same raw feeling as bare steel due to their platings.
- Knurl Pattern & Coverage – The Texas Squat Bar includes a fairly aggressive powerlifting-style knurl with additional coverage above and beyond a traditional power bar. This bar offers a wide 6″ center knurl for additional grip on the back and traps.
- 31.75mm Shaft – The Texas Squat Bar comes equipped with a thick almost 32mm shaft, which is pretty standard from a squat bar. This creates an extremely rigid shaft ideal for extremely heavy squat attempts.
- Tensile Strength – Tensile strength on this bar is 186,000 PSI, which is in the wheelhouse for squat bars.
- Grooved Sleeves – The grooved sleeves will tend to keep the plates on the bar better than a smooth sleeve when not using collars, but they will also be louder.
- Total Length & Sleeve length – The Texas Squat Bar has a total length of 96.5″ with a loadable sleeve length of 19.5″, making it considerably longer than a traditional barbell. For perspective, a traditional bar will generally have a total length of ~86.75″ and a sleeve length of ~16.5″ and below. Both total length and sleeve length are longer on the Texas Squat Bar than the Rogue Squat Bar.
- American Made – This bar is made in America.
- History – The Texas Squat Bar is a legendary bar from Buddy Capps. It has been used in many a powerlifting competition, and set hundreds of records at all levels, from state to worldwide, have been set while using this bar. It’s a piece of powerlifting history.
What They’re Saying at Texas Power Bars
The Texas Squat Bar receives very positive feedback from users. With an average rating of 5/5, here are some of the things people have said at texaspowerbars.com.
- “I use this thick 55lb bar for squats. I like using this for heavy weight and is just as good for light weight. I would recommend this bar if you are tired of bending all your other bars.”
- “I have 6 years of elite powerlifting experience. The texas squat bar is the best I have have used. I have worked out with over 700lbs on the bar and it is solid as a rock. The bar arrived in perfect condition and was shipped in a timely manner!”
- “This squat bar is one of the best ones I ever used. It feels perfectly balanced with just the right length. Sorry I did not purchase one sooner”
- “Beautiful looking bar, stiff just as promised. Some people leave their kids fancy watches. This bar is probably what I’ll be leaving mine”
- “This bar has changed my squat sessions. The effects of a quality bar were immediate. Going from a crappy, whippy, 0 knurl bar to what I use in competition was a no brainer. I’ll never buy another squat bar than this one. Solid bar. Stiff and comfortable and won’t ever slip down your back.”
- None noted
Garage Gym Lab Review
Garage Gym Lab has not yet reviewed this bar.
The below barbells were picked as alternatives to the Texas Squat Bar: